PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping through class...Sorta

Hermlord
02-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, I've already made my choice, because I'm here posting and not in class. But I wondered what others would do.

I was planning on going to class today, but I woke up right at the start time. It takes me about 15min from walking out the door to sitting down in class. However I absolutely hate leaving without showering and at least eating a banana or something; I feel (and look) like crap and probably wouldn't absorb any material. Classes are 1hr20min long. Oh yeah, I'm in grad school not college. I missed more classes than not in college, but grad school's sorta different.

Edit: just a bit more info, it's a small class but not a grad. seminar, most of the students are upper undergrads. Also, due to various factors, it's not in my major area or really particularly relevant to what I do. The prof's pretty cool, not a hardass. And to reiterate, this was all completely accidental. Yes these are all rationalizations.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Show yourself to be a real grad student and show up to class. Grad school is different than undergrad - you don't skip when you're a grad student.

Yeti
02-15-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't really know what grad school is in the USA and how old you are.

FWIW I'm 19, in uni in the UK, and I get confronted by this situation a lot. I always pick C.

swede123
02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
One thing is certain. Posting polls asking people for advice won't get you off to class faster. Sounds like today is a lost cause. I agree that grad school is different, but unless you have some important assignment or presentation due I say go out and grab some good food and go to your next class.

Cheers,

Swede

Hermlord
02-15-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...real grad student...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assumption is flawed -- I'm in music... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...real grad student...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh.

meep_42
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
It's unprofessional to show up halfway through, or that late. You fuc[/b]ked up, it's not your place to distract the class when you get there.

-d

emonrad87
02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Screw it, don't walk in late. Thats worse to me than not coming at all - there are a mnultitude of reasons you missed the class, but walking in late is a dead giveaway that you messed up.

edtost
02-15-2005, 03:06 PM
a) is infinitely better than b), in all cases where c) is not clearly correct.

Matty
02-15-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...real grad student...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If you'd put that in your first post the poll results would be different.

Alobar
02-15-2005, 11:17 PM
dude, showering? wtf, dont be so gay, its college for chist sake, not some real job or something.

ethan
02-15-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...real grad student...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I chose A but that was before I read this. Nevermind then.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, showering? wtf, dont be so gay, its college for chist sake, not some real job or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is a MUSIC MAJOR.

Alobar
02-16-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He is a MUSIC MAJOR.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, even more reason why he should feel gay for having to shower before he can go out.

Hermlord
02-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Showering is not so I look presentable, that's just a bonus. It's really so I don't feel like crap. How much does it bite to wake up, realize you're late, and then literally 60 seconds later you're in a freezing car on your way to class? And then when you get there, you gotta at least act like you're with it. I'm not saying I can't do it, I mean I did get through 4 years of college, but honestly, is it worth it at that point? Looks like most people, including me, said no.

Oh, and they do make musicians take classes, believe it or not. It's not all pot-parties and Be-ins. Although you can do an independent study for those.