PDA

View Full Version : websites at work?

soundgarden4
02-15-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm an analyst for a healthcare company and it is beyond boring. Some days I literally have nothing to do, so I screw around on the internet. The problem is my cubicle is literally right outside my boss' door, so he can see my computer screen from his desk.

I was wondering if there are any websites that I could browse that would look like I'm doing research from my boss' point of view. Magazine websites, online articles or online books or anything that can be remotely interesting for a few hours a day, EVERY DAY. 2+2 is somewhat acceptable, but with all the avatars, the green strip on the side, and smiley faces and stuff I can't leave it up there for too long. Thanks for the help.

kevin

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
You could disable avatars and BBB code.

stantheman
02-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Privacy filter (http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/MMMPF400XL/05Q1/)

Tell your boss you need it to prevent screen glare. You will be able to surf all day, every day undetected. It's pricey, but worth every penny.

soundgarden4
02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
How do I disable the BBB code?

With respect to the privacy filter, I'm quitting this job in 3 months, so I wouldn't want to spend the money. On top of that, I don't think I could convince my boss to let that thing anywhere near my computer. Thanks anyways.

kevin

B00T
02-15-2005, 01:40 PM
if you are leaving your job, who gives a crap if your boss sees you putzin around

soundgarden4
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Because there's a big difference between quitting my job and getting fired. Getting fired from your first "real" out of college job would not look good on the resume...But that is the thought process I take when reading 2+2. If he sees me reading it every once in a while no big deal.

prrthd
02-15-2005, 06:32 PM
If you download firefox you can get the adblock plug-in and that gets rid of all the adds on the page and you pretty much just have a text page to look at.

EDIT: I just tried it and you can Adblock the little icons as well.

Zygote
02-15-2005, 06:44 PM
post this in the Other Other Topics forum. I bet you'll get your best answers there...

Zygote
02-15-2005, 06:44 PM
oops, thoght i saw this in politics... my bad. multitasking is messing with my head

Buccaneer
02-15-2005, 06:55 PM
You could set your browser up to view pages as text only.

When using a computer at work it is best to believe that they record every keystroke and take screen shots of your computer screen on a regular basis. Most places can and do do that even if they deny it. They even have programs that analize graphics for %ages of flesh tones. High % flesh in a picture = nekid pictures.

If you have 3 months left on the job and you do not want a negitive mark on your record just don't do it for 3 months. It is the safest way.

If you have to rip websites at home and view them at work on a laptop that is not on thier network.

I am in healthcare and I have a position that I am there if something bad happens. I have about 20 minutes of paper work a night and use the rest of the night to watch movies, read, research, think about poker, and sometimes nod off. My boss knows that what ever there is to do I will get it done and does not care what I do as long as the worker bees and most especially his boss do not see me goofing off. As you know pretending to be busy is a lot harder than being busy.