PDA

View Full Version : short term experiment - flopped trips

kurto
02-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I have been trying to figure out what the best play is when the flop contains a pair which gives you trips.

Lately I've been randomly betting or checking it. I've been looking for the traditional wisdom. (which I think varies depending on what level of opponent you're up against)

So the last 2 nights, I've been carefully noting on the PS $25NL what works better.

If I bet it... the majority of hands (~75%) everyone folded. If the unpaired card was an overcard, specifically an ace or a K, people were more likely to call your bets.

If I checked it... it would almost always get checked around. On the turn, people would bet other cards. Rarely, did people give me credit for having trips I'm guessing because they think I would have bet it on the flop.

Conclusion... (at least at my level of tables) don't bet it if you have it on the flop. Come the turn, they complete ignore the potential trips.

Ghazban
02-15-2005, 12:19 PM
If there are two suited cards on the flop, I'm betting my trips every time. I think this is a key situation you didn't describe. If there is no connection on the board (something like 833r), slowplaying is much more appropriate.

kylma
02-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Good thinking and trips are problematic.
Someone else might also slowplay trips with better kicker on the flop.. Or even full house.. and give a free card on the flop someone hits a miracle full house and can you then muck your trips?

Everyone seems to be careful with pairs on the flop and so you won't get too much action if they don't have anything good. I will often just bet the flop and take a few small pots since the problem is that if it becomes a huge pot someone else has at least the trips too or even a full house and you're in trouble quite often. A double edged sword. And even the freshest novice sees the possibility of the trips on the board so it's hard to make money if that's all you got and they have something worse

kurto
02-15-2005, 12:34 PM
"Someone else might also slowplay trips with better kicker on the flop.." Unless I'm in the blinds, I don't worry about this too often at my tables because I'm generally playing better cards then most of them. A few times when I and another player had trips... I had JK... he had J2 (they were suited lol... I kid you not) I felt confident I had the best kicker (flop of AJJ).

I think this comes to knowing your opponents... who plays good hands, who was in the blinds, etc.

"and give a free card on the flop someone hits a miracle full house and can you then muck your trips?" I think so. Even if I check the flop, I will bet or (preferably) I checkraise the turn. I have found that UNLESS they have a fullhouse, they will at most call my bets because they're afraid of what I have. If I get played back at... I have been able to laydown before. But its been very rare.

"And even the freshest novice sees the possibility of the trips on the board so it's hard to make money if that's all you got and they have something worse" You'd be surprised. If the board is AJJ and I have the Jack, the guy with AK refused to beleive I have the Jack. I don't know why. Or if they get 2 pair... they give away their whole stack.

I don't expect this to work at higher limits. But it seems an absolute goldmine at the micro limits.

kylma
02-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Yep it sure sounds like your strategy is working well.. especially when you muck the trips against good opponents who understand the situation , too, and they clearly represent something stronger