PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy Theory

Schneids
02-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Maryland was an NCAA bubble team entering its match versus Duke last weekend.

The ACC getting one more team into the NCAA tourney is worth over $1 million to the conference.

Duke is a lock for a bid and most likely top two seed.

The difference between calls that Maryland got (plenty) and Duke got (few) was staggering.

Maryland wins, and suddenly its prospects of getting a bid seem much more rosey.

Discuss.

YourFoxyGrandma
02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Both interesting and possible, but I don't care because I'm from MD.

namknils
02-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Interesting theory. I'm a Duke fan, and watching the game Saturday night made me very frustrated, I thought a lot of the calls were ticky-tack. I didn't blame the refs for the loss but any team that gets 32 fouls called on them is certainly going to have a hard time winning. I thought Duke played very well considering it was on the road plus that foul trouble.

By the way, I never believe conspiracy theories, but this one is a good one.

thatpfunk
02-15-2005, 12:31 PM
I normally hate conspiracy theories, but this makes a lot of sense.

mmbt0ne
02-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I think that's a little unfair. Williams deserved all of his fouls, he was playing like his freshmen self out there just throwing his body around. Gilchrist drew fouls on Dockery fair and square. Some of Ewing's were a little soft, but nothing that Duke wouldn't get at home.

By the way, if Ewing doesn't lose his head and get T'd up, no one is having this conversation right now. Very un-Duke like.

namknils
02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, if Ewing doesn't lose his head and get T'd up, no one is having this conversation right now. Very un-Duke like.

[/ QUOTE ]

He took an elbow to the throat and reacted, it was a bad call, should have been a double T but the refs missed it.

mmbt0ne
02-15-2005, 01:01 PM
The person who reacts almost always gets the lone T. This is a known and undisputable fact. It's his responsibility not to react to that. If the refs missed it, man up and go down the court.

namknils
02-15-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The person who reacts almost always gets the lone T. This is a known and undisputable fact. It's his responsibility not to react to that. If the refs missed it, man up and go down the court.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, and I wasn't surprised that it was called just on Daniel. But you mentioned in your previous post that it was unfair (I assume to question the calls) and then to back up your point you reference a call in which the officials made a mistake.

I'll say agian that I don't blame the loss on the refs.

meep_42
02-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Go Terps!

(and jesus, give 'em the sweep vs Duke, they owned the Terps when the Terps were actually good...)

-d

emonrad87
02-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Basketball sucks

MEbenhoe
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You side with the Dukies? You just gained points in my book.

In all seriousness though, the only way you score a lot of points against Duke (the best defensive team in the country) is if they're in foul trouble. The only way they get in foul trouble is when the refs call a bunch of tick tack fouls on them. I'm not saying whether or not their was a conspiracy on this.