PDA

View Full Version : Cracked laptop screen

VinnyTheFish
02-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Please no flaming! I know I am a dumbass!

I cracked my laptop screen. I did not purchase a "damage/accident" warrenty, so it is not covered.

Gateway will fix it for $299.00 Service, plus part (which they did not tell me yet) + tax.

Any advice on where to get it fixed? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yes - I know I am an ass!

boedeker
02-15-2005, 11:30 AM
buy an external monitor.

VinnyTheFish
02-15-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
buy an external monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is going to bethe best advice. I have an external monitor. I also have a desktop at home that I use for online play. But I carry this laptop with me to work, etc. I really do not use to play online, I just keep my Tracker on it.

I think I maybe S-O-L!

RevAgain
02-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Not sure how that makes you a dumbass if you're referring to not purchasing the insurance - that stuff is normally grossly overpriced, at least here in the UK, and they make more money on that than they do on the sale. If you broke your laptop by throwing darts at it then yes, you are a dumbass.

Rah
02-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Isn't this covered by your home insurance?

sfwusc
02-15-2005, 12:36 PM
I wouldnt have bought the warrenty either. Very EV- move.

That screen is going to be stupid expensive. $300+ the part is going to be more a new laptop or atleast what the current one is worth.

Follow the external monitor advice---i think. I would want a fix quote before sending it to gateway.

On the warrenty. You are paying like $300 for years 2-3. After 3 years the laptop isnt worth but $100-200(look at ebay.com). After a 1 year it isnt worth but like 50% of retail. My laptop cost like $1300 so they will charge me 50% of the max value of what is it worth during the covered period.

Gateway did a nice job fixing mine(it was inside a year) when the power supply dead(to much poker i guess).

Just some thoughts.

RollaJ
02-15-2005, 12:58 PM
external monitor, or upgrade time , fixing it will cost you at least 500. I cracked the screen on my last laptop before I could get it up on eBay, so now it is in the kids room with an external 17" crt we had lying around

PoorLawyer
02-15-2005, 01:10 PM
i spilled a glass of water on my gateway and they fixed it for 299 parts included

Dave H.
02-15-2005, 01:28 PM
What hand sucked you out when you cracked the screen?

VinnyTheFish
02-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Cost of fixing quoted by Gateway: $599 + tax! Cost of Chinese food $24.99 .... Cost of laptop $1600! Son of a motherless goat.

I broke the laptop becasue I did not want to spill chinese food on it while eating & playing a $5 Head hunter at Jet Set! I moved the laptop from my coffee table to the edge of the couch. About 5 seconds later ... bang!

I am cashing out my February Crypto Profits to pay for this! This was money ready to played at the 6/12 tables in AC! Oh well. 3/6 here I come!
I figured I was an ass because I did not purchase the warrenty at 299.00 for 3 years.

<font color="blue"> Note to computer geeks: I can buy a new screen for a Dell 14.1 for $299.00. Can I install this thing myself? Do you think it will work crossing a dell screen with a gateway laptop? </font>

VinnyTheFish
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Main reason why I am an ARSE:

1) I should have contacted gateway &amp; bought an extended damage warrenty.
2) waited a few days, maybe weeks
3) sent the laptop for repair.
4) scammed the scammers