PDA

View Full Version : O8 hand, too passive?

nolimitpro2005
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
PokerStars 2/4 Omaha/8 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 2d 9c Qd Kc (High: two pair, kings and nines).
MP has Ah 4s 5c 7h (Low: 7, 5, 4, 2, A | High: two pair, aces and fives).
Hero has 3h 5h 4h 7d (Low: 5, 4, 3, 2, A | High: straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>

The flop and turn make me wonder. My cold-calling pre-flop might be troubling also. My questions really just regard my flop and fourth street plays, though. I think I might have missed some bets by not raising, but my thinking was, "I don't wanna shut out the big blind by forcing him to call 2 bets cold when there's a good chance he'll call if I don't raise."

Was this played poorly all-around? Any feedback is appreciated.

thatpfunk
02-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Random thoughts (and i'm no o8 master):

Short handed, 3-to a wheel, position, I raise.

Flop I raise.
Turn I bet.
River I bet.

But I'm learning to play like an over-aggro monkey.

bodie
02-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi nolimit,

I wouldn't have raised before the flop - though you have a hand with possibilities, you would be more apt to drive out callers as well as lose money if the flop misses you.
I would also simply call on the flop so as not to scare away callers.
By the turn and river you still have four callers in the pot - that's where I would definitely raise and see who comes along, I might wait until the river to raise so as to keep those three BB's coming in on the turn bet.

Moneyline
02-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Preflop: I would fold here. IMO, this type of hand is okay if you're opening from late position, defending your blinds from a possible steal raise, or on the button for a single bet in a game with very weak (meaning too prone to fold post-flop) players in the pot. None of these situations seem to be the case here... it's a very tough hand to play postflop and even if you do have great postflop skills, I still don't think it's profitable against a raise from MP.

Flop: I would raise. You have the nuts for both ways right now, but you are vulnerable to some draws (like the flush draw or being counterfeited). This is your pot (for the moment), and it would be a shame to let somebody else take half of it away from you because you weren't aggressive enough in defending it.

Turn: A total blank. Now you definitely need to jam the pot.

River: Another blank. You dodged a bullet this time... playing it this way may have even gained you an extra bet or two, but with different turn and river cards you could have cost yourself half, or even all of the pot.

My advice is to play tighter pre-flop, and more aggressively with vulnerable scoop hands post-flop.

thatpfunk
02-15-2005, 01:05 PM
folding is very very bad. Its short handed and he has three to a wheel. a hand like this isn't that difficult to play postflop, you either hit or wiff completely.

chaos
02-15-2005, 01:39 PM
I would fold preflop, especially to a raise. This is not a good starting hand. Your chances of making a strong high or low are very remote.

You got lucky and flopped the nuts for both high and low. Instead of raising you give your opponents a cheap chance to tie your low (if a 3 or 4 comes) or to beat your high.

I think you played this hand poorly.

gergery
02-15-2005, 04:46 PM
This is an easy fold preflop, especially having to coldcall a raise. These are 3 crappy wheel cards and wheel cards don't play as well shorthanded anyway.

I would have raised on the turn at least. Once you saw that both opponents liked this flop, you must assume at minimum that a flushdraw is out and give incorrect odds for them to call.

[ QUOTE ]
have cost yourself half, or even all of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not possible to cost yourself all of the pot -- you will always get at least part of low.

Yads
02-15-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
folding is very very bad. Its short handed and he has three to a wheel. a hand like this isn't that difficult to play postflop, you either hit or wiff completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is right against a PF raise, unless this guy's a maniac your 3 worst wheel cards just became junk. You should open with this hand, but you should definitely fold this hand to a raise, unless you're defending your blind.

FeliciaLee
02-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Agree 100%. Spoken almost like the ghost of Ray Zee himself, lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He can't be counterfeited, though, right? You just meant "in general."

Moneyline
02-16-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%. Spoken almost like the ghost of Ray Zee himself, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday you compiment me on my 1/4 Aremian charm, and today I'm being compared to everyone's favorite lego-haired poker author. You better go back to calling me tense, anal and homosexual again before my ego gets too big /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
He can't be counterfeited, though, right? You just meant "in general."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what I meant is that I didn't read carefully enough and I'm basically talking out of my ass. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

johnnybeef
02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
your play after the flop was fine. your preflop play demonstrates to me why your name is nlhepro instead of ohlpro.