PDA

View Full Version : Introducing QTip to SS Forum (somewhat long)

QTip
02-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I've just started back in small stakes (2/4 and up) from micro limits, so I'll be posting here now.

Here’s my holdem story: (Feel free to make suggestions to where I’m at now)

I started playing in August of 2004 even though years before I played a couple of home games and read a book or two, but I didn’t know much (not that that’s changed a whole lot). I read SSHE about 3 times, then took notes, made some files on it and wore the thing out. I started at PP and did ok for about 4 weeks. Then, I went on a mad rush and made $2200 in 3 days playing micro limits and some small limits. I was so excited I thought it would never end. I didn’t know that was not a usual thing to have happen. I just knew that SSHE said you could make $50,000 in a year, and I thought I was on the way to double that I used the trial version of PT because I’m too much of a tight wad to buy the thing. I used the 1000 hands free and then reinstalled who knows how many times (I told you I was a tight wad). I was up to playing 4 tables with control. It was at this peak that I decided to check out twoplustwo because of the quote on the back of SSHE. I posted that I was at 25 BB/hr because I was at that point, and everyone unloaded on me. I thought “Wow. I don’t think I want to be at this forum”. Someone was nice enough to say that they were glad I was doing well, but it wouldn’t last like that. Anyway, I quit posting at twoplustwo because I got stoned with my first post.

I cashed out $1,300 to do some home repairs and proceeded to loose the rest over the next month. I live on a pretty tight budget, and can’t justify a lot of my own money in play. I didn’t play for a couple months because I had no money.

In January, PP offered a reload bonus, and I was back in it. It was at this time that I found bonuswhores.com. Since then, I’ve been at just about every site getting bonuses. I got a second monitor for free from a friend so I can now play up to 8 games comfortably. I’m usually at 7 though since many of the sites only allow you to play 3 and my dial-up freaks out if you have more than 2 of these sites running. I live in the middle of nowhere and currently have no other connection available…DSL is supposed to be coming in about 6 months. This is actually a semi-pro attempt because my wife is no longer working. I’m trying to make up for the loss of her income.

Here’s where I’m at right now:

My bankroll is finally large enough for 2/4. I'm refining my game, so I generally only play 2 tables 2/4 right now. My grasp on poker concepts is ok, but is improving. I've practically memorized SSHE, and I just got TOP, and I'm trying to grasp the concepts there. I'm not too wonderful at math, so sometimes it's challenging for me. I just finally got the registered version of PT and GT+, so I've only got 8,000 hands logged there. AT 10,000, I'll post the stats to be reviewed.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself.

See you in discussions...

mistrpug
02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Welcome aboard and good luck.

If you didn't know already, 300 big bets is the standard for a bankroll size needed, so for 2/4, you should have $1200. That should keep you from going broke again (if you're a winning player).

Also, if you your stats at 10k, you'll mostly get posts that say your sample size is too small.

QTip
02-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I did learn that about bankroll size. That's why I went broke before (or part of the reason). I was playing 3/6 with $800. My bankroll is $1,300 right now. At what point would you turn back to 1/2 if you starting taking hits...$600?

Twitch1977
02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
I admire your use of paragraphs and punctuation. I hope others will use this post as a template when they’re going make long posts. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

mistrpug
02-15-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I did learn that about bankroll size. That's why I went broke before (or part of the reason). I was playing 3/6 with $800. My bankroll is $1,300 right now. At what point would you turn back to 1/2 if you starting taking hits...$600?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say if you get down to about $900 (-100 BB)anytime soon, you should move down just because there'd be a pretty good chance you're not a winning player yet and may need to work at the lower limits. Depends how comfortable you feel though.

shadow29
02-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Be ready to drop down quickly. 2/4 is a different game and can be a bit weird at times. Definetly much more profitable than 1/2, but it's different.

Please don't take this as an insult, but I'm not quite sure that you're ready for 2/4. I read several of your micro posts and they seemed to indicate a need to stay in the micros for a bit longer. Weren't you playing .5/1 like a week ago?

Not trying to be harsh, just constructive.

QTip
02-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Sup shadow...thanks for the post.

I still play 50/1 at times clearing bonuses or whatever....

I've played 2/4 and 3/6 and a bit of 5/10 before, and I know it's different. Truth is, I've always done better in 2/4 and 3/6 than in 1/2...not sure if that's just the way it's panned out or if there's a rhyme or reason to it...

I went back to .5/1 because I went bust after taking too much money out of my bankroll and staying at 3/6 anyway. I finally got up to $1,200 3 days ago and started playing 2/4 only 1 or 2 games at a time to help me concentrate better (I generally played 7 or 8 tables 5/1 and 1/2). Right now, I've only got 1000 hands in 2/4 since 3 days ago, and I'm at 7bb/100 (know that's going to change). I feel confident there, familiar with the terrain from 4 months ago and my skills are growing...I hope you're wrong /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which posts in micro specifically were you referring to which led you to think that I needed to stay there.

shadow29
02-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Ok, I didn't quite follow your history. Since you've played those higher limits it makes me feel better now.

Did you play for a significatn time (>5k hands) at 1/2? I think that the stuff I learned at 1/2 is invaluable at 2/4.

I forget which posts exactly, but definetly some stuff about raising at the wrong times and not raising at the right times. An AA hand, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, good luck!

QTip
02-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks dude....

Yeah...the AA hands, I remember this post. I played it pretty weak because I was trying to figure out my agression ratings. My turn and river aggression ratings are very high especially compared to my flop aggression ratings, and this was concerning me. However, I'm going to wait until about 20,000 hands to take a better look at that. Right now it's:

Flop - 1.7
Turn - 3.6
River - 3.4

This is after 8,000 hands (I finally got a registered version of PT, so this is all the history I have right now).

# of hands....I'm sure it's some ungodly # for a person with a full-time job, a wife and 2 kids /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, I'll be posting hands, so please keep an eye out for me...

shadow29
02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Sure will.

Those aggression numbers look curiously inverted, however.

QTip
02-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah...thus the reason for my concern. Right now I'm focusing on my flop aggression...what's your flop aggression rating?

Sometimes my swings are quite large, and I get the feeling that it's because of my agression on the larger betting rounds. I either win a large pot or loose lots of BBs. There are a couple of pocket 2s examples I need to post, but haven't yet to see if others are spewing chips as well. I'll have to get those posted tonight...

Maulik
02-18-2005, 09:16 PM
SSHE, and I just got TOP PT and GT+

I'm just trying to figure out what these are? /images/graemlins/confused.gif