PDA

View Full Version : bluff magazine.. any thoughts?

lighterjobs
02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
i was going to subscribe to bluff magazine today (www.bluffmagazine.com) but i wanted to see what anyone had to say about it. if you have gotten a copy, what did you think of it?

Luv2DriveTT
02-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Its free in many Vegas rooms.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

playersare
02-15-2005, 03:04 PM
as a consumer rule of thumb, I wouldn't buy a 6-issue subscription from a magazine that has only published 3 issues so far.

that and they're charging $25 a year which is only a 16% discount off the cover price. I already get 10% off at barnes & noble and I'd be more confident about new issues arriving there first before hitting my mailbox.

TimTimSalabim
02-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Picked one up at the Mirage the other day and read through it. By the way, it's subtitled "Bluff: The Thrill of Poker". That tells you right away where they're coming from. They have a poker quiz where they ask in-depth strategy questions like, what is the nickname for pocket sevens? And based on how many of these you get right, determines whether you're a "shark" or a "minnow". My overall impression? I'd say it's the poker magazine of, by and for all-in donkeys.

Iplayragstoo
02-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I read the first offering of this "mag". I would say its good to read on the crapper, because if you run out of TP, you can use the pages.... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Daliman
02-17-2005, 12:38 PM
No. Bluff magazine has no thoughts whatsoever.

lighterjobs
02-17-2005, 04:00 PM
nine pages if you had chili.

Bellagibro
02-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Fun to read on the crapper.

Sweetaces
02-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Lighter....

Honestly, do not listen to these ignorant people. Apparently there thought process extends about as far as a baby in diapers.

As for Bluff Magazine. It is a fine read, run by fine people. The magazine is entertaining and provides you with all aspects of poker, not just the technical part. The magazine has frequent contributors that includes the best of the best of Poker including Annie Duke, Doyle Brunson and other high provile poker players.

If you go to their website, bluffmagazine.com they have a forum where you can read and post on almost any subject. I suggest you go there to read what actual Bluff Readers think about the magazine. The Publisher, Eric Morris actually will respond personally to almost every post (whether positive or negative). Bluff Magazine currently has a higher production run than any other poker magazine on the market, including CardPlayer. I really suggest you check out their website and see what you think.

Daliman
02-18-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lighter....

Honestly, do not listen to these ignorant people. Apparently there thought process extends about as far as a baby in diapers.

As for Bluff Magazine. It is a fine read, run by fine people. The magazine is entertaining and provides you with all aspects of poker, not just the technical part. The magazine has frequent contributors that includes the best of the best of Poker including Annie Duke, Doyle Brunson and other high provile poker players.

If you go to their website, bluffmagazine.com they have a forum where you can read and post on almost any subject. I suggest you go there to read what actual Bluff Readers think about the magazine. The Publisher, Eric Morris actually will respond personally to almost every post (whether positive or negative). Bluff Magazine currently has a higher production run than any other poker magazine on the market, including CardPlayer. I really suggest you check out their website and see what you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

TYVM, Mrs. Bluff.

snakehead
02-18-2005, 05:19 AM
I have read three issues, and they were all so bad I've decided not to read another even though they are free in the poker room. I think bluff is even worse than that poker player rag.

card player isn't a whole lot better, but at least there are some informative and/or debatable articles.

lighterjobs
02-19-2005, 12:33 AM
i don't want to make a trip out to vegas every time a new issue comes out.

Bluff Media
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Snake,

My name is Eric Morris and I am the publisher of Bluff. I appreciate your comments regarding Bluff and would be interested to hear what you feel would make the magazine a better read.

However, first understand that the purpose of Bluff is to reach a mainstream audience and not be a strategy and stats type of publication.

Our philosophy is if you want to be entertained read Bluff, however if you want to become a better poker player then read David or Mason's books. We dont even pretend to compete with them, Doyle, Mike Caro, etc.

Bluff's mainstream appeal is the reason why we were the first poker publication to have a major newsstand presence and a print run of over 200,000.

I do realize that the more sophisicated poker player may not want to read Bluff. Perhaps you are in this category?

We do know, based on feedback from our distributor and newsstand sell through rate of 84%(source: Prestige Periodicals)that our magazine has been very well received by the new and mid level poker player.

So Snake, based on the information I have given you, please let me know how we can improve the magazine.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Eric Morris
Publisher
Bluff Media
eric@bluffmedia.com