PDA

View Full Version : Flopped quads with a PP in the hole.

PoBoy321
02-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Interpoker $.50/1.

No read on anyone at the table, but things have been pretty loose pre-flop, pretty passive postflop, typical stuff. I am 2nd in chips at the table with $112. The rest of the stacks range from $8 (MP2) to $114 (Button).

Anyway, I'm dealt 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP3

Pre-flop: UTG folds. UTG+1 call. UTG+2 calls. MP1 calls. MP2 calls. I call. Button calls. SB folds. BB checks.

8 to the flop for a pot of $8.50.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Checked to me, I check, button checks.

Turn is the A /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Checked to MP1 who bets $4. At this point, I figure that no one has anything so if I'm going to make any money on this hand, I'm gonna have to get it in there myself and I raise to $12. Folded back to MP1 who folds.

Seriously, how do I play these types of hands on drawless boards? Just assume that if no one makes a full house that I'm not going to make any money off the hand?

Caruso329
02-15-2005, 04:58 AM
check/call and then make a massive overbet on the end? Or you could min. raise. Players are more apt to call min. raises I've found.

I would also min. bet the flop to get a little bit more money in the pot and hope for a raise, which I would call.

TheWorstPlayer
02-15-2005, 05:10 AM
Just call the $4 and hope some other guys do, too. Then hope someone hits something nice on the river, like a backdoor flush or straight or maybe they hit their pocket pair, or maybe running aces or something. Raising big just scares them away...

djoyce003
02-15-2005, 05:13 AM
It's pretty hard to win a bunch with flopped quads because you have the deck crippled. Your raise on the turn basically looks like you slowplayed a 7 for the flopped trips. The guy who bet out on the turn was likely looking to steal the pot and would not have bet again on the river once you called. Basically, the only way you were winning big on this hand would have been against pocket aces or kings.

PoBoy321
02-15-2005, 05:14 AM
I don't know. Part of me thinks that raising big scares them away. Another part of me thinks that raising big allows me to get more money in the pot and makes it more likely for someone to put me on a bluff.

Bleh. I just don't know what to do with these monsters.

mason55
02-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Yesterday i had pocket aces and flopped two more. Worst hand I've ever had in my life. It was checked around once, I was on the button and bet 1/2 pot on turn and it was folded around, giving me the measly 3xBB i raised preflop. The one thing that made me feel better was thinking aboud Ed Miller's post awhile ago that these aren't the mistakes that will make or cost you money. Yeah it's fun to win a huge pot with quads, but the cost of a leak is defined by the severity AND the frequency, and no leak involving you having quads is going to be nearly as costly as something you do 20 or 50 or 100 times per session.

I dunno, every time I don't get paid off with a big hand I think about that and it makes me feel better.

Raiser
02-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I'd just call the turn bet. A club or another broadway card on the river could win you a big pot. As it is now you'll only win a biggie if someone is slowplaying AA or KK.