PDA

View Full Version : Push to utilize fold equity

minwoo
02-15-2005, 04:54 AM
In Party $33 SNG's:

4 players left. Blinds are 150/300. You are UTG (BB next hand). You have t1000. Button has t1000. Assume SB and BB have t3000 each.

So it is likely that either you or the player on the button will be the next to bust OTM. You are UTG, is it correct to push with any two? (w/ exception of 23o, 72o, total trash hands)

What I find happening alot is that we get down to the bubble and I am short stacked with another player. Since the other player has the same stack as me, either one of us could be the next to bust.
Now, I usually fold UTG unless it's somewhat of a hand (77 and up, KJ - KQ, A8 and up) hoping that the other player will push and get knocked or the SB and BB will somehow fight it out with someone busting. But more often than not, it just folds around and I'm posting BB. When I am in BB, I either have to push/call w/ anything or fold if I get total trash. If call, I am usually behind and lose. And if I fold, I lose all fold equity and the next time I push, it is correct for any player w/ any stack to call me.
It's unbelievably frustrating busting out on the bubble. But I think that frustration could be minimized if I at least knew that I was making the correct/optimal play. I'm thinking after today's sessions, that it is actually best to make use of fold equity and push w/ any two in this situation. I hate losing without putting up somewhat of a fight. But of course, the downside to this is that someone can pick up a decent hand behind me and call my push without too much difficulty. So I am basically torn between folding to give someone a chance to bust or pushing to guarantee ITM if I come out of the hand alive.

Which strategy has given the most success?

SuitedSixes
02-15-2005, 05:03 AM
I am having a hard time making the any two push when it is correct and I need to do it more. I guess it boils down to this: There are two possible ways to win a poker hand, to get everybody to fold or to have the best hand at the river. I like the idea of giving myself a shot at both outcomes.

Pepsquad
02-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Typically, like you, I need a semi-decent hand here in order to push. You need to take the other short-stacks recent play into consideration. MOST of the time, a good player (4 handed with the 3rd chipstack) will simply hole up and wait for you to either bust or double up). Sometimes though, they are ignorant and will still be willing to splash around in some pots. In this case, I would fold all but my best starting hands. And in the situation you describe, I'm usually in no hurry because in reality you probably have already lost all of your folding equity so why be in a rush? You still have 2 full orbits before you're blinded out and you only need ONE hand to double up and put the pressure back on the other short stack. That said, you can't be incredibly picky here. I'd probably be pushing any ace or king here.

Merlyn22
02-15-2005, 05:41 AM
In your example, if you push, there is 1450 in pot, BB only has to call 700 and has a good stack - he's getting the right odds to call you with almost anything. You may benefit more by looking at the hands before the ones like this. See if you can find more opportunities to steal the blinds earlier so you don't find yourself with a 3.3 BB stack in this situation.

minwoo
02-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Bump..more input from more players on what is the way to go in this situation. Thanks!

iMsoLucky0
02-15-2005, 02:18 PM
My style of play is to push in your example with any non-trash hand. That includes any pair, any Ace, any suited king, K8+, Q8+, and most suited connectors and most suited gappers.

I, however, get many firsts, seconds, fourths, fifths, and sixths, with very few 3rds. I almost never just try and fold my way into the money, as I am interested in the payout at first.

I don't necessarily know for sure if pushing with my listed hands is right, but I am definitely sure that you should include any ace, and any pair in your hands instead of 77+ and A8+.