PDA

View Full Version : moving - Vegas compared to L.A. ( also posted in b&m)

fireitup123
02-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Hi,
I am probably going to move later this year to Las Vegas or Los Angeles.
I was in Vegas last year for the WSOP (played in main event). That was the only time I visited there. I have not been to L.A.
I want to make a trip during this year's WSOP to Vegas and afterwards to Los Angeles.
It's my understanding that a lot of the players that live in Vegas or L.A. often make trips to the other city since they are not very far apart.
I was searching for some feedback on some of the pros and cons for each city. A little more about me: I live in the Southeastern U.S. and have been playing professional for a couple of years. A lot of my play is online. I considered that I could move to one of the cities to offer better game selection / and higher limits.
My goal is to play in the biggest live games available within the next few years.
I do know a little about the 2 cities in question but I'd be interested in getting feedback on pros and cons of each city for a high stakes poker player.

A. Cost of living - My biggest concern about L.A. is the cost of living. My understanding is that a nice 3 to 4 bedroom house in the suburbs would cost about 3/4 of a million dollars. In Las Vegas the same house might only cost 150,000. If I invested the difference in mutual funds the L.A. house could prove to be a very costly long-term purchase. I'll be paying cash when I do buy a house, and I'll probably be living in an apartment in one of these locations for a year before I consider buying a house.

B. Apartments - Anyone know of a reasonable rate for a nice, safe, apartment in the LA and Las Vegas areas (in proximity to major poker rooms).

C. Game selection

D. Quality of Living

E. Safety

F. Things to Do.

G. Health Insurance Costs

H. Tax Rates

These were some of the issues I was considering and feedback from those of you that are familiar with the areas or that have lived in or live in these areas would be appreciated.
Thanks

bonanz
02-15-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Las Vegas the same house might only cost 150,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

way off... you can't get sh!t for 150

fireitup123
02-15-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"way off... you can't get sh!t for 150"

OK...Let's say we are looking at a four bedroom house of the same quality in LA and Las Vegas. What's an average estimated price difference for a comparable home?

nongice626
02-15-2005, 05:19 AM
just go to vegas. it'll be alot cheaper...

fireitup123
02-15-2005, 05:39 AM
"just go to vegas. it'll be alot cheaper... "

From what I have heard and read, the game selection / action is significantly better in Los Angeles, although the cost of living cheaper in Vegas. Thus one major question - Is the higher cost of living in L.A. worth the potentiall better games, for a high stakes player.

TimTimSalabim
02-15-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was true about five years ago, but since then houses in Vegas have skyrocketed in price. Count on paying 200 to 250k now in a decent neighborhood, more in an upscale one.