PDA

View Full Version : 6 max or SNG's?

Big Bend
02-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Like everybody else I grew tired of full limit games.. then I discovered the joys of 6-max ring. I've now accumulated over 100,000 hands of winning fun, but the swings in 6-max can be quite scary at times. One thing I like about 6-max is there are a ton of idiots playing the games (especially at the lower limits) so that its pretty easy to gring out a nice BB/100. I like that you can't buy a book on 6-max strategy.

But now I'm looking over at the SNG camp, thinking hmm this might be a fun way to supplement the income too. I guess I'm wondering if other 6-max refugees are here, why they like it, how do the swings of a good SNG player compare to the 6-max side, etc..

Thx.. Allen

ChrisV
02-15-2005, 04:08 AM
I have a few friends who play 15-30 and 10-20 6 max. They make pretty decent money but the swings are out of this world. I started trying to learn it but I found the game just infuriated me - when the cards go cold on you you lose a massive amount and there's nothing you can do about it. Also I found the game difficult to learn as often it's very unclear whether you played a hand correctly or not - mostly you can't take any lessons away from a hand.

I have a better hourly rate than them playing $200 SNGs and the worst downswing I've suffered is about 6 grand. By contrast one of my friends once suffered a 14 grand downswing playing 15/30 6 max, although some of that was probably tilt.

raptor517
02-15-2005, 04:25 AM
i used to play the 10-20 6 max pretty regularly. i then took a 5k hit and didnt really enjoy it too much. so i decided to look for a chance. here in sngs i found it. i can 8 table the 109s, keep a good return at around 16%, and make a killing with no 4k downswings. im making way more at sngs than i did 10-20, and i was "crushing" 10-20 6max. sngs are easier and more fun, as well as less stressful than 10-20 6 max. start enjoying them too.

stripsqueez
02-15-2005, 04:48 AM
well i wouldnt call myself a refugee - more like a tourist - but i did play lots of short handed limit before playing SNG's seriously

i still like the 10/20 6 max game and play it regularly - SNG's are a different proposition but there is lots of stuff that is the same

as for losing streaks - these SNG guys have no clue about a decent downswing - usually they post about going 10 games without a place which is like the equivalent of a daily occurence playing 6 max

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

GimmeDaWatch
02-15-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well i wouldnt call myself a refugee - more like a tourist - but i did play lots of short handed limit before playing SNG's seriously

i still like the 10/20 6 max game and play it regularly - SNG's are a different proposition but there is lots of stuff that is the same

as for losing streaks - these SNG guys have no clue about a decent downswing - usually they post about going 10 games without a place which is like the equivalent of a daily occurence playing 6 max

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the volume of the downswing dollar-wise is not as great, granted, but there have been some very well-documentd
lengthy downswings by Irieguy, stupidsucker, and others for lengths of 200-500 sitngos. All that said, the worst you usally hear about is going down about 40 buy-ins.

JoeTable
02-15-2005, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to play the 10-20 6 max pretty regularly. i then took a 5k hit and didnt really enjoy it too much. so i decided to look for a chance. here in sngs i found it. i can 8 table the 109s, keep a good return at around 16%, and make a killing with no 4k downswings. im making way more at sngs than i did 10-20, and i was "crushing" 10-20 6max. sngs are easier and more fun, as well as less stressful than 10-20 6 max. start enjoying them too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going through a similar situation myself. My bread butter is $100 6 max no limit. The games are soft and fast and plentiful. However, I think there is more science to SnG's, and that appeals to me. So I've been muddling through the SnG terrains for a month now (I'm still playing the 6 max to keep my earnings going). But I tend to agree with the other posters in this thread. Once you get your footing, I think there is more money to be made in SnG's with less variance.

JoeTable
02-15-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the volume of the downswing dollar-wise is not as great, granted, but there have been some very well-documentd
lengthy downswings by Irieguy, stupidsucker, and others for lengths of 200-500 sitngos. All that said, the worst you usally hear about is going down about 40 buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost that in a day playing 6 max. God bless SnG's.

Phil Van Sexton
02-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I play a lot of 5/10 (6 max) and NL 6 max. I think the big advantage of the SnG is that it is much easier to multi-table than 6max. At 6max, you are playing a lot of hands and you have to make decisions on all streets.

In the NL SnG, it's mostly fold, fold, push pre-flop, fold, fold. I guess you have a play a couple hands to the river in the early part of the tournament, but that's at a 10 handed table, so it's still much easier to keep up than 6max.

I like SnGs because they are great change of pace from the standard ring game. However, the most frustrating thing is when an idiot drops a bad beat on you in a SnG, you can't get your money back from him because you are out of the tournament.

In a 6max side game, I don't mind a fish taking a pot off me because I know he'll give it back soon enough as long as he doesn't leave the table. In SnGs, you have to look at the big picture, and that is difficult at times.