PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play online, a poll? Humor me...

pokerrookie
02-15-2005, 03:01 AM
On a scale of 1-10, rate why you play poker.

1 = If I new I was going to break even for the next 5 years, I would still play because it is so much fun.

10 = I hate playing, but this pays better than McDonald's.

You get the idea...

tdarko
02-15-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You get the idea...

[/ QUOTE ]
not really cause money rates high in my book (as does sex), i voted 5 anyway b/c i like both.

Hermlord
02-15-2005, 03:49 AM
I said 10 but that's only online, I love playing live.

AngryCola
02-15-2005, 04:05 AM
This is what makes you the rookie!

Oh... Wait a minute... I've already used that joke.

Here's my honest answer.

Most people on 2+2 are going to say for the money.

That's my choice.

Honestly, online poker isn't that much fun once you start playing multiple tables for real money.
However, sometimes I do get some enjoyment out of blowing off steam with friends in a $5 SNG

I still enjoy live poker as much as I ever have.
But that's probably because I don't play live very often.

Siegmund
02-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Mostly the money. Partly as a diversion. It doesn't come close to comparing with sex.

I am a bridge pro (who lives in a small enough town it's not much of a living); I have dabbled in backgammon, pan, and now texas holdem for variety.

Texas Holdem was a pleasant surprise to me, an appealing luck-to-skill ratio. Still a boring game, but doesnt bore me completely to tears the way 7stud does.

It annoys me to no end that money bridge games are uncommon in small towns and unknown on the internet, so I can make more money at poker 6 months after I started than I can playing bridge after 10 years (such money as there is in bridge comes from teaching classes and being hired by rich old ladies to be their partners in tournaments, not from actually *playing*.) I feel a pang of conscience every time I play - putting up with poker just because it's easy money and a relatively mindless diversion. (In the sense that it's only about 1 hand in 10 you actually have anything to think about besides quietly soaking in information, that is.) Even if I made my living from poker - which I don't as yet - I'd forever consider it my second game.

pokerrookie
02-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I wonder how winrate correlates to why people play. That is, do you think people's enjoyment of the game results in them earning more money?

shejk
02-15-2005, 01:05 PM
"I wonder how winrate correlates to why people play. That is, do you think people's enjoyment of the game results in them earning more money?"

A better question might be: I wonder how winrate correlates to how people look at their game. I believe that it is a very good psychological defense... /images/graemlins/smile.gif (to consider that you p(l)ay for fun)

pokerrookie
02-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I agree.... I always here fishies justifying their call on a 2 out draw by saying they play for the fun of the gamble. And while that may be true for them, I imagine "good" players use that defense as well.

AncientPC
02-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Unless one enjoyed playing with play money at random sites, most people are playing for money when playing online. The social aspect of the game is lacking, it's mostly to see who can make the most money.

Stuey
02-20-2005, 12:50 AM
A friend of mine said, “Why do you always have to wreck the game!” We played chess and at first he enjoyed it. It was relaxing and we were evenly matched. I read a few chess books and next time we played he lost every game. He made me play without my queen, he lost, he made me play blind folded, he lost. He said, “You wrecked the game!” he won’t play anymore. Understand, I am not very good at chess. I am just a ton better at it than my friend plus I try hard. This has happened with several other what he calls fun games. Then we tried poker he won’t play anymore, surprised? But I was pleased to find out there are millions as skilled as him that will play with me online. I plan to wreck their game. Understand I am not very good at poker. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AncientPC
02-20-2005, 02:04 AM
There are people who are competitive and people who aren't.

Stuey
02-20-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are people who are competitive and people who aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wrecked my game! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MarkL444
02-21-2005, 06:14 PM
if i had enough money so that i never had to work another day in my life, i would probably never play online again. i would still play live a lot.

antifish225
02-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Online 10, offline 3 - for me online is all about making money as it is not that enjoyable playing 2-3 tables at the same time, it is mentally draining, it can be very frustrating (if you have ever been disconnected), and it is hard on my eyes! If I had a live cardroom in my living room I would never play online again (have to drive 45 minutes to get to a room so I play online more than I would like).....but still sex is better than live poker (most of the time)