PDA

View Full Version : What to do about noisey upstairs tenants

gamblore99
02-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Tenants upstairs are noisey. Originally we lived below landlord, but he moved out and they replaced him. We constantly tell them to be quiet and usually they are semi-good except tonight. One of my housemates asked them to be quieter as it is midterms and he is trying to study. 5-10 minutes later, other housemate went to the front of the house and asked them to be quiet. they again said ok and then again 5-10 minutes later still no improvement. So housemates come get me, cause supposedly i am there favourite. I knock on the door. no answer. I knock again. No answer. I knock really loudly and here "If you knock again we will call the police". I go back downstairs and housemates tell me they here laughing.

other facts
1. one of the guys is on co-op and by chance knows my brother from guelph. They are good acquantences and he seems nice when I talk to him, though I have only talked to him once.
2. They always hve access to our house as there laundry machine is in our part of the house.
3. We don't have access to there part besides there laundry machine.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

pshreck
02-15-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions as to what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they are being noisy enough to call the cops... suck it up?

InchoateHand
02-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Sometimes I go aggro and climb the fire escape and pound on the walls/windows until they shut up, but mostly I suck it up and ask them politely to keep it the [censored] down. Learning their phone number can be more helpful than knocking on the doors. Buying earplugs is better yet.

nothumb
02-15-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I knock really loudly and here "If you knock again we will call the police". I go back downstairs and housemates tell me they here laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This right here would get me. No way they're calling the cops, and if they do, good.

I would deny them access to your part of the house also. Can you do this? When they complain to the landlord, explain what happened.

NT

EliteNinja
02-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Play some loud music to cover up the noise.

Oh, and duct tape your speakers face up on the ceiling.

Lazymeatball
02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
stop studying nerd, get some ho's over, and have really loud sex.

2planka
02-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I think he has lots of studying to do, especially if he's an English major:

[ QUOTE ]
I go back downstairs and housemates tell me they here laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
We don't have access to there part besides there laundry machine

[/ QUOTE ]

02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Tell your landlord that you're going to withhold the rent until he gets the noise under control.

Benjamin
02-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Move.

B Dids
02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Unless you can describe the nature of the noise, this story is pointless.

If you're going to frequently get worked up over stuff like this- stop living in apartments. Noise comes with the territory.

astroglide
02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
keep knocking until they call the cops

emonrad87
02-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Go out and turn your heat waaaaayyyyy up. Heat rises, it'll make their apartment unbearable.

gamblore99
02-15-2005, 04:51 PM
So we called the landlord he came over. He asked the guys upstairs what time would be a good time that we could agree on was quiet time. They said something along the lines of "could be 12 or could be 5 in the morning, dunno. depends what we feel like". The landlord really doesn't like these guys either, he said if this continued, then he would move back in temporarily to there part of the house, in which case they would be kicked out. one guy threatened to call his lawyer, but after the landlord left they quieted down.

As for the sound, it really doesn't bug me except at like 4 in the morning when its very loud. Usually I don't care and just let them be loud, but my other housemates get upset. What really pissed me off is when i tried to talk to them and they wouldn't open the door, and just laughed about it.as of now me and housemates have agreed next time they are loud we will ask them once to be quiet, and then if they don't get better we will temporarily shut off there power and refuse them access to the power switches.

also im not an english major, as is clearly evident by my sloppy writing. I am in science psychology, and am probably transferring into biopsych next year. Not that there is anything wrong with english as a major...