PDA

View Full Version : Best guitar solo?

istewart
02-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Stairway. It's not close.

Far below it, Slash on "Sweet Child O Mine" and Clapton on "Sunshine of Your Love."

ThaSaltCracka
02-14-2005, 11:37 PM
this forum is seriously gay.

pshreck
02-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Purple Rain dude...

istewart
02-14-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this forum is seriously gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

MEbenhoe
02-14-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slash on "Sweet Child O Mine"

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the one from November Rain personally.

James Boston
02-14-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Far below it, Slash on "Sweet Child O Mine" and Clapton on "Sunshine of Your Love."

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play? Because if you do, and don't suck, I don't see how you beleive what you're saying.

istewart
02-15-2005, 12:00 AM
No I don't play. Give me others, then. Sure, Petrucci, Vai, Satriani, Johnson, Malmsteen, etc. are all good/great, if you were going to suggest them, but I'm talking about actual songs here.

And don't deny Stairway.

I'm also not referring to the best technical solos. Just the most ear-pleasing.

jason_t
02-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Satriani: Summer Song.

James Boston
02-15-2005, 12:19 AM
I wasn't looking for the most technically perfect, 64 notes per second guitar player. But if you're going to judge something, you have to have SOME criteria. "It sounds good" isn't criteria, because that's TOO subjective. The songs you mentioned were effective solos, but not that big of a deal. I don't have an answer, I just thought yours were pretty off base. No offense.

istewart
02-15-2005, 12:22 AM
I opened the thread for everyone's opinions. It's completely subjective; I don't think there's any critera one can set up for this.

How is Stairway pretty off-base? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

James Boston
02-15-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How is Stairway pretty off-base?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE Zepplin. They are one of the greatest rock bands of all time. That being said, Jimmy Page was a sloppy guitar player. And I'm not alone on that. Since you didn't ask about great songs, but great solos, I think him being sloppy is relevant.

zephed56
02-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Another brick in the wall part 2 has a very good solo. It's like he's speaking wth his guitar. He creates good phrases.

Time also has a great solo.

Whole Lotta Love's solo is great. That's why I became obsessed with Zeppelin at a young age.

BLA BLA BLA Just giving you some suggestions.

istewart
02-15-2005, 12:55 AM
They are all good. Add "Comfortably Numb."

zephed56
02-15-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is Stairway pretty off-base?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE Zepplin. They are one of the greatest rock bands of all time. That being said, Jimmy Page was a sloppy guitar player. And I'm not alone on that. Since you didn't ask about great songs, but great solos, I think him being sloppy is relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stairway's solo is NOT sloppy. He was NOT sloppy in studio.

He was sometimes sloppy live, he had off days, but there are some very good commercially released live performances you can buy at your local record store. How the West Was Won cd is fabulous, as is BBC sessions.

PokerGoblin
02-15-2005, 01:01 AM
For metal I like Dime's solo on the live 'Cemetery Gates' version from the 101 proof CD. Floods from The Great Southern Trendkill is also bad ass.

Anything from Randy Rhoads during the Ozzy era of '80-'82. I personally like Mr. Crowley the best.

PG

Edge34
02-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Joe Walsh on the "Hell Freezes Over" live acoustic performance of Hotel California.

Someone mentioned musically pleasing, I can't beat that one.

Sephus
02-15-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slash on "Sweet Child O Mine"

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the one from November Rain personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Macdaddy Warsaw
02-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Any Doug Martsch solo. He's very good technically, he's very creative, and he can jam for 20 minutes. I call him my Dougie-poo. Werd.

rusellmj
02-15-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another brick in the wall part 2 has a very good solo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone who knows good phrasing. The subtlties in this lead are lost on the untrained ear. I was a huge Gilmore fan and learned a few of his leads. Great stuff.

Russ

Phat Mack
02-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Crossroads

TimTimSalabim
02-15-2005, 02:44 AM
Cliffs of Dover

kemystery
02-15-2005, 03:00 AM
'Little Wing' SRV

SRV gets no mention?

rusellmj
02-15-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Little Wing' SRV

SRV gets no mention?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go with Pride and Joy. Actually, I picked up my guitar for the first time in months tonight, strummed out Cold Shot, and put it back down.

Russ

istewart
02-15-2005, 03:10 AM
Clapton/Allman do "Little Wing" better.

jason_t
02-15-2005, 03:11 AM
bushizzle.

Zygote
02-15-2005, 03:18 AM
freebird was always fun.

i like stevie ray's cover of little wing.

van halen's ripped his fare share as well.

the best solo's i've seen have been from steve vai, liquid tension experiment and mobbstein.

balkii
02-15-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Little Wing' SRV

SRV gets no mention?

[/ QUOTE ]

stevie ray vaughan is the biggest joke of a guitar player. "look, i can copy jimi hendrix" wow great [censored] your original music blows and your covers are simply ripoffs with no musicality.

balkii
02-15-2005, 03:27 AM

page's best solo is on the electric recording of "thank you" on BBC sessions. word

istewart
02-15-2005, 03:30 AM
That's an awesome solo, I forgot about that. Still, I maintain my position.

Oh, and thank you to the guy that mentioned Liquid Tension Experiment. "Universal Mind" is [censored] sick all around.

kemystery
02-15-2005, 03:45 AM
honorable mentions*

Clapton shreds on 'It's in the way that you use it' & 'Dear Mr. Fantasy' as well (Traffic) maybe not his *very* best stuff though

'Easy like Sunday Morning' - Faith No More - cover vers. love this song.

'Knocking on Heaven's Door' GnR

rusellmj
02-15-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stevie ray vaughan is the biggest joke of a guitar player. "look, i can copy jimi hendrix" wow great [censored] your original music blows and your covers are simply ripoffs with no musicality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

Russ

DCJ311
02-15-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Walsh on the "Hell Freezes Over" live acoustic performance of Hotel California.

Someone mentioned musically pleasing, I can't beat that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. I love the live performance of this song.

crosse91
02-15-2005, 04:31 AM
SRV didn't rip off hendrix at all, they both ripped off Albert King, one of the greatest blues guitar players of all time, and SRV rocked.

Do your history before you spew such blasphemy

zephed56
02-15-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

page's best solo is on the electric recording of "thank you" on BBC sessions. word

[/ QUOTE ]
YEAHHHHHH!! That solo MOVES me. I wanted to say that so bad, but most of the people here don't know what it is.

You rock.

daveymck
02-15-2005, 05:17 AM
This is another hard one there are so many good solos out there particulary in the music I listen too.

Stairway ok gove you that one as a good one.

I love the solo on fade to black by metallica, another favourite would have to be the harmony and soloing on Phantom of the Opera by Maiden.

Best album of solos I would recommend if you like heavy stuff is Burning Bridges by Arch Enemy(not black metal) the guitarist in them is fantastic.

Best live solo I have heard was metallica again, Nothing Else Matters outside at Milton Keynes bowl 60,000 people camp fires all around everyone singing along then the guitar solo hit and the end of that he held the note and it rose and faded and its one of those notes that just touches you inside was fantastic and 10 years (and many other gigs later) can still put myself right into that memory.

Again like many postings on oot everyone seems to go commercial and pick the most obvious things Led Zeppelin, Floyd etc there is so much fantasic music outside the mainstream, with some fantastic musicians its a pity so much of it goes unheard.

I do play, very badly, and the surprising thing is that for someone who is really a bread an butter guitarist technically anyway that Slash is held in such high regard, and goes to prove its not technically how good you are its what you make the instrument do.

dsm
02-15-2005, 07:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cliffs Of Dover

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice choice. I assume you play guitar.

-dsm

CCass
02-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I think Gilmour's best may be on One of These Days. Practically no lyrics at all.

Brock Landers
02-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I gotta agree on Stairway. It is very well put together and very pleasing to the ear. Page said that he improvised a large part of that solo while recording. I think he said he only did 3 takes (all different) in the studio.

Heartbreaker is also a pretty shredding solo, maybe a little harsh for some people.

I also agree with some of you on Pink Floyd. In my opinion, the literal sound of their guitar is the best.

JaBlue
02-15-2005, 01:58 PM
The best guitar solo most certainly is not in a rock 'n roll song.

M2d
02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
when I was growing up, my parents had an album. I think it was Andres Segovia. coulda been someone else. Listen to a a great classical guitarist play Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring and you'll understand the phrase "moved to tears". It's such a simple sounding melody, but, in the hands of a master, it's incredible.

istewart
02-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I really like Hammett on "The Unforgiven" for some reason. That solo rocks IMHO.

Allman on "Blue Sky" is also sick. Although it's not all him, his part especially.

TimTimSalabim
02-15-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cliffs Of Dover

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice choice. I assume you play guitar.

-dsm

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no, but I've always had friends who are musicians and they point me toward the good stuff. Plus, I love music and have a pretty good ear. Maybe one of these days I will take up an instrument.

Joey Knish
02-15-2005, 02:50 PM
All of your posts are rapidly becoming sarcastic bs.

It's getting old.

Fishwhenican
02-15-2005, 10:57 PM
David Gilmore and Comfortably Numb. It was great on "The Wall" but if you hear the live version on "Pulse" it is just Off The Planet!

balkii
02-15-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best guitar solo most certainly is not in a rock 'n roll song.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol so true

Fratony
02-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Have any of you heard Peter Frampton's remake of "My Guitar Gently Weeps"? The solo (at the end) in that is out of this world, gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

bernie
02-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Lots of good ones so far.

A couple more...

Dokken : Under lock and key album. Great guitar stuff all over it. Standout: The hunter.

Van halen: One foot out the door. Talk about alot of emotion, eddie's just pissed on this one.

Jake E Lee (Badlands): Pick one. Devil's stomp rocks.

Add to that various Blackmore solos from rainbow or DP.

One that is overlooked? The knack: my sharona. Great jam on that one.

Instumental: Satch : summersong.

ok, my eyes are glazed. Im done now.

b

frank_iii
02-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Yngwie J Malmsteen - Jet to Jet (Alcatrazz days)

crownjules
02-16-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really like Hammett on "The Unforgiven" for some reason. That solo rocks IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

They played it live on their last tour for the first time since their Black album tour. It was amazing. Didn't believe they were actually playing it again. They also played Fade to Black, which is another favorite song/solo of mine. Neither are technically tough (even I can play them), but just solid pieces of music.

Rube
02-16-2005, 06:15 PM
sultans of swing

stairway solo is awful

asofel
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
no way you can name just one...but:

duane allman and dickey betts play an incredible whipping post on the second filmore album. duane could play fast, slow, whatever he wanted, and didn't overuse his notes. very intricate and just beautiful solos.

the electric version of thank you is excellent.

some of buckethead's softer albums (colma, electric tears, population override) have some great solos, and not the tapping [censored] most people are used to...

can't leave out the duane's solo on liz reed...if you know it, you'll know the part where it all comes together and he just lets loose...

if you've ever heard of stanley jordan, then i don't need to say anything more...

Fishwhenican
02-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh Ya! Stanley Jordan!
I haven't heard any of his stuff in a LONG time but I remember it being REALLY good!