PDA

View Full Version : 77 UTG

beachbum
02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
<font color="green"> This is a hand I think I played well. I'd like any comments on any street. No reads on the villain. </font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

rmarotti
02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Tell me about your turn call.

adamstewart
02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
In situations like this, I've been using the following line lately:

* check/call the flop
* lead the turn and see how he responds (i.e. fold to a raise).

Edit: just deleted the last paragraph because I didn't realize you made a straight.

Adam

beachbum
02-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Well, there's only 1 broadway card out there which is the one overcard out there. There's a wide range of hands he could have isolate-raised me and missed on. I don't want to bet out and be forced into a tough decision of calling a raise. Pg. 139 of HEPFAP mentions checking hands with outs here, but bet-folding hands that don't. I've most likely got 6 outs, if I'm not ahead now. Why not let him bet my hand for me when he's behind too?

TheMetetron
02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me about your turn call.

[/ QUOTE ]

6:1 with 6 outs. 7.6:1 to make your hand. Then rake considerations. Though you should get 2 bets when you make your hand and give up none on the river. It's close, but -EV still (unless you think you are actually ahead a certain % of the time here... which is possible, dependent on reads).

I'm more interested in calling the flop raise. I don't necessarily like leading the flop, because you are going to be raised a lot of the time here against a good opponent and it is difficult to tell where you are. That being said, I'm not sure check/call or check/raise are better lines. Check/fold is also a possibility.

I'll defer to others here for some more analysis. Read-dependent I will usually be check/folding or check/raising the flop though.

SinCityGuy
02-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Don't you just love playing 77 out of position against two opponents for two bets before the flop?

Nice runner-runner gutshot, by the way.

foxfox1
02-15-2005, 12:37 AM
smallest pair UTG should be TT, unless you know at least 6-7 people will see the flop. also, if you're gonna open the pot, always come in with a raise

Wired Jokers
02-15-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
smallest pair UTG should be TT, unless you know at least 6-7 people will see the flop. also, if you're gonna open the pot, always come in with a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these sentences are incorrect.

TheMetetron
02-15-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just bad advice. You shouldn't always be coming in for a raise first into the pot; though you generally should, there are exceptions and this is one of them. If you expect a few callers and an unraised pot (not uncommon in Party 2/4 and 3/6), calling here is perfectly acceptable and good play with 77. Obviously, we don't want to be 3-way for 2 bets out of position, but now we are. The more I think about it, the more I like check/folding the flop, though read-dependent I will check-raise and lead the turn.

Wired Jokers
02-15-2005, 01:45 AM
I think the problem with this hand is not that an overcard flopped, or that you are out of position (although both suck for Hero), but that SB is hanging around.

In this case, I almost know for sure that button is going to either 1) bet or 2) raise. So I bet, hoping button's raise will knock out SB. Button's raise does not mean he has a higher pocket pair. He could just as easily be holding AK, AQ, KQ.

When you get heads up on the turn, does anyone like check-raising? You have outs if behind, and you could very well be ahead. Furthermore, you could get a possible free showdown if you miss.

Interesting turn decision ... hmmm.

SinCityGuy
02-15-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you expect a few callers and an unraised pot (not uncommon in Party 2/4 and 3/6), calling here is perfectly acceptable and good play with 77. Obviously, we don't want to be 3-way for 2 bets out of position, but now we are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unraised pots were common in these games two years ago. Now, over 50% of the blinds are raised, and the UTG 77 often ends up playing against two or three opponents out of position for two bets before the flop.

TheMetetron
02-15-2005, 02:40 AM
There is a big differece between "normal" and "not uncommon". I can find plenty of tables where it is the correct play, even though it may not be the correct play at the majority of tables (which isn't what I said). Reading comprehension is fundamental.