PDA

View Full Version : Flop a straight but I scared everyone off, how would you play it?

Zeke
02-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Button here is loose (30% vpip) but very passive. SB and BB are both very loose (38% and 50% respectively) and also passive. UTG+1 is loose and agressive.

My thinking on the flop here was that this is a nice board and any of these players holding a card ten or higher would likely call here. They had all shown to been habitual callers and the blinds especially liked to go to the river with almost anything. Anyway what would your plan of attack be for this hand? Would a smooth call of the flop be better with the plan of raising the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Niediam
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
You played it fine. Your hand isn't strong enough to slowplay.

DeeJ
02-14-2005, 07:12 PM
His hand is way strong enough to slowplay. The only hand that beats him is AT (which is by definition unlikely to be out there) and anyone with an Ace is drawing to a 3 outer and anyone with a Ten is drawing to a 4 outer. I would go for overcalls and check-raise the turn. you are going to be good far far more often than not.

topspin
02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would go for overcalls and check-raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's he supposed to go for a check-raise when the likely bettor is sitting directly to his right?

I think OP played it fine. If you wait to raise the turn, you're facing the field with 2BB cold instead of 2SB, and anyone who would fold the flop is likely to fold the turn as well. There really aren't any second-best hands for anyone to draw to, and anyone with top pair (ace kicker?), a single 10, or many other holdings will often call you.