PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Cooler Review [Antec Notebook Cooler]

RED_RAIN
02-14-2005, 06:17 PM
After the thread about different cooling options for laptops.

Keeping your laptop cool? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=1657492&Forum= ,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=165 7492&Search=true&where=&Name=19852&daterange=&newe rval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Po st1657492)

I bought the "Antec Notebook Cooler for Notebook PC - Pearl" from Gateway.

I looked around, and even though I did want mine to have 3 fans and 4 if I could find them, I came up with this one.

It seems that Antec is one of the biggest names in the cooling with the other names either not really into this stuff or look pretty crappy.

This one has one speed setting for the fans and runs of the USB port but has a connector that has a bypass so you won't use up a USB slot.

It's really light and doesn't take up much room. I have pictures if people want me to post them.

I got the pearl one instead of the one with the black ring around it because it seems a lot cheaper for some reason even though they are the same model I believe.

As for noise, it is noticeable if you don't have anything else going on in your room. I have a fan and am usually playing music or watching TV in which case I don't notice it at all.

As for performance, I have a 3.06 GHz P4 processor that seemed to always run at 1.59 GHz, and I never turn off my laptop. It was always very hot underneath. With this new cooler, I have found it runs at 3.06 GHz more often (I heard it jumps around cause it's a step processor and allows it to go up and down for use and for heat). The bottom is not even warm anymore.

I bought it at Gateway because it was the best price I could find and was to me in under a week. (Or else I'm not a big fan of Gateway)

Link to page on Gateway (http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Notebook+Accessories_316800/Notebook+Accessories_375699/2487945_ProdDetail)

I am very glad I got this as I think it will add life to my laptop and current performance increase.

dgoldsmith
02-14-2005, 11:29 PM
The Antec Notebook Cooler is great for using on a hard surface. It has four feet in the corners that keep it about 1/4" off the work surface which is necessary because its fans vent the hot air straight down. This makes it not so good a choice for use in your lap.

The Targus Notebook Chill Mat vents out the back so it works well both on a flat surface and in your lap. It doesn't have the USB port pass-through dongle so it will use up one USB port.

I've got a Gateway M675 and if I place it on a hard surface without the laptop cooler, it overheats and locks up in about 45 minutes consistently.