PDA

View Full Version : Jack Binion World Poker Open - Reese vs. Greenstein vs. Tippin

Mike Peters
02-14-2005, 04:48 PM
I'll preface my post by saying a few things. First, I'm a long time lurker, and don't post very often because I don't feel I know enough yet to give solid advice, but I love reading and learning. Second, I don't play too much tournament poker.

Now, my roommate and I were discussing this hand where Greenstein knocks out Reese and Tippin with AK suited. I don't have the stack sizes (sorry), but I hope a few people remember this hand:

[ QUOTE ]
Chip Reese hadn't seen too many opportunities to build up his stack, and to make matters worse, immediately after the antes and blinds went up to $2,000, $10,000 and $20,000, he was struck down by a stone bluff from Greenstein. As the short stack now, with just under $300,000, he picked the wrong time to go all-in with Ks-5s. Tippin called with Qc-Qd, and then Greenstein went all-in over the top of both of them, with Ad-Kd! As an overjoyed Randy Jensen watched from the sidelines, the board went Ah-Kh-6c-8d-As, knocking out two players with four left, a first for the WPT. Chip went to the rail in 4th place with $207,304, and Tippin joined him in 3rd with $328,230.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, my roommate and I were having the arguement about whether Tippin should have moved in or not and how that would have affected Greenstein. I think that Tippin should have pushed with QQ there, but I think Greenstein would have called with AdKd regardless. My roommate thinks that Tippin should have pushed and and Greenstein would have folded and found a better spot, as he probably had a skill edge on the rest of the table. I think there's just too much money in this pot and too many hands that Greenstein is ahead of for him to lay it down, even if Tippin pushes all in ahead of him.

Comments?

tdarko
02-14-2005, 04:51 PM
i think greenstein would have played, good cash guys sometimes dont think of what is best for the tourny. or maybe i am totally off which is probably the case since greenstein is a stud.

JoeTable
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
I think everything happened as it should have. The only question is whether or not Tippin should have called the all in. But Tippin was right in flat calling the all in of Reese. It shows obvious strength and only a much better hand would overcall or raise, but gives him some fold equity, should that better hand push. Which is why I second guess his move. If he was planning to call an all in from Barry, he should've have just pushed in the first place, giving Barry a chance to fold.

tdarko
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
i dunno now that i think about it i like the flat call with QQ, he might be trying to get heads up with greenstein in case he wants to play and QQ is likely to be the favorite. i am just not a huge fan of pushing with QQ unless i know for a fact that greenstein would fold (he hadnt acted yet correct? no limping right?)
if he can get greenstein heads up he would have been able to fold with the dreaded ace on board and save his stack, but greenstein pushed and held so tough luck, oh well you got to win races to win tourney's /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jaquen H'gar
02-14-2005, 06:03 PM
A simplified approach is this question: would Tippin have played it any different if he absolutely knew what cards Reese and Greenstein held. If not, the fundamental theorem of poker says he did the right thing.

He got all of his money in with the best of it vs two of the absolute best players in the world. As an amateur, that it the absolute best one could hope for.

Mike Peters
02-14-2005, 06:07 PM
But would Greenstein have called if he pushed?

tdarko
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But would Greenstein have called if he pushed?

[/ QUOTE ]
this is the real question and what i have been thinking about, i originally thought maybe he would but i think the original poster is actually right here, two players showing extreme strength and the only hands that greenstein dominates are Ace-x. i like the call here, it allows greenstein to play which is what you want.

tdarko
02-14-2005, 06:20 PM
haha you are the original poster so nevermind, i think you have this one correct.

Double Eagle
02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I think he sums it up pretty well here. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/extempore/36010.html)

"Everyone is a genius when their AK is hitting the flop."