PDA

View Full Version : Color to Black&White

El Barto
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I have some images on my computer that I want to convert from color to black & white. Can this be done in Paint or some other Windows program?

swede123
02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Most photo editing programs will do that for you, including all versions of Photoshop and probably every program bundled with digital cameras.

Cheers,

Swede

bdk3clash
02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Google's Picasa program can do this and much, much more.

RocketManJames
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Do you want to go from Color to Grayscale? If so, then it's trivial, and like others have said, lots of programs can do this.

If you want to go from Color to Black and White (1-bit data), then it might not be as simple, because thresholding the image data is very dependent on the type of image.

-RMJ

El Barto
02-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks all for your attempted help. I am still stuck.

I am trying to convert from color to greyscale using the Paint program (bitmap images). There is a coversion to B & W in the Attributes pop up, but that is no good at converting to pixel level shades of grey. Even the Help topic entitled "greyscale" just points me to this B & W option. I must be overlooking something.

rmarotti
02-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Google for GIMP.

RocketManJames
02-15-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to convert from color to greyscale using the Paint program (bitmap images). There is a coversion to B & W in the Attributes pop up, but that is no good at converting to pixel level shades of grey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be mistaken, but as far as I know, Microsoft's Paint is not a program that will allow you to convert to grayscale. Try doing a search for some freeware/shareware image program.

Edit: You can also do one of those free trials for Paint Shop Pro. This is the program I use personally... it's pretty powerful, and as hardcore as Photoshop.

Link. (http://www.jasc.com)

-RMJ

El Barto
02-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks RocketManJames and rmarotti for the suggested programs to try.

I assume once I have modified an image in one of these freeware programs, I will have no problem taking it back into Paint to modify some more, right?

Shajen
02-15-2005, 02:25 PM
as long as you keep it .bmp or .jpg or .tif/.gif you should be just fine.

RocketManJames
02-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Why bother with modifying it in Paint? The tools available to you in 'real' image programs are so much better. Of course, if you are on a trial basis, and it expires, I can see why you might want to use Paint. But, seriously, once you see what else is out there, you'll never go back to Paint.

-RMJ

Duke
02-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Grab irfanview. It'll do pretty much everything that you could want to do without serious photoshop-caliber editing, and is absolutely free.

IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/)

~D