PDA

View Full Version : Networking two computers

junkmail3
02-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Can anyone offer a good link, or a good step by step on how to network my two computers and share files/printers.

Both are running wirelessly (and I have no computer running directly to the router with an ethernet or USB cable)

And once I do this, can I have my pokertracker on machine 1 read poker files from machine two?

Thanks.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-14-2005, 04:39 PM
If you're running Windows XP, just run the networking wizard. Also, I don't know if you'd be able to do the thing with the PT database, but I don't think you'd want to do it if you could anyway. Methinks it'd be hella-slow whenever you update.

codewarrior
02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Running XP? Go to "Start" "My Network Places". That's all you need.

junkmail3
02-14-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're running Windows XP, just run the networking wizard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this. It tells me that something is not connected. But I don't have anything to connect, since I'm going wireless.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I don't know if you'd be able to do the thing with the PT database, but I don't think you'd want to do it if you could anyway. Methinks it'd be hella-slow whenever you update.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point.

kenberman
02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
I just did this, but honestly forget what guide I used. maybe something on howstuffworks.com?

I networked 2 w2k machines together using wires and a router. file sharing works fine, but it gets wonky if you use Zone Alarm (free firewall software). I had to disable Zone Alarm on both computers to enable file sharing. There must be a better way, but I haven't figured it out yet.

hey, at least I know zone alarm works!

For PT, I emailed PT Pat and got a new copy of PT for the 2nd computer. I have to continously update both PT dbases, which is a pain. I try to play poker mainly on one computer, and manually get hand histories when I play on my "other computer". but this isn't a great system, as I invariable lose some hands.

wonderwes
02-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Even in XP, the windows sharing is flaky. Its should be in the network icon of control panel. Sometimes everything should work, yet you wont see anything on network neighborhood. Try to share a folder on one of the machines, and see if you can reach it. The search function in XP that allows you to search for the computer name. Sometimes that will work.

The best solution is just to actually break down and buy a router. Its a $50 investment that will help payoff in the long run. They would probably be even cheaper on ebay.
excellent Linksys wifi router (http://www.buy.com/prod/Linksys_Wireless_G_Broadband_Router/q/loc/101/10336386.html)

just2pimp
02-14-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and I have no computer running directly to the router with an ethernet or USB cable

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are running a wireless router already?

junkmail3
02-14-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and I have no computer running directly to the router with an ethernet or USB cable

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are running a wireless router already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have a wireless router.