PDA

View Full Version : AKo in the SB.......how should I play hands out of position???

attetude
02-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($33.75)
Hero ($26)
BB ($22.5)
UTG ($16.01)
UTG+1 ($34.9)
MP1 ($23.05)
MP2 ($24.5)
CO :#A500AF(ELEPHANT)/ ($14.6)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO :#A500AF(ELEPHANT)/ calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO :#A500AF(ELEPHANT)/ calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, ELEPHANT checks.

Turn: ($4.50) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, ELEPHANT calls $3.

River: ($10.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, ELEPHANT checks.

Final Pot: $10.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
ELEPHANT has As Ts (two pair, tens and sixes).
Hero has Ah Kc (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: ELEPHANT wins $10.50. </font>

I believe this is a weak part of my game......possibly I am gun shy from too many suck outs....I need any advise on out of position play.....comment specifically on hand but more importantly just general play

ty as always, attetude

tbach24
02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Raise more than that PF. Make it 3 total. If I'm raising from SB I am adding an extra BB because you want to charge them.

kurto
02-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I have seen numerous threads about playing AK out of position. There are a lot of variables which alter your play. In your case, my 2 cents:

(1) You are Heads up... a raise is a must. So good.
(2) If you had 4 callers... I would check. You are heads-up. If I'm headsup, I'm taking a shot on the flop no matter what flops. I think by checking, you showed weakness and this was the start of the downfall. FYI- If I was your opponent, and you checked that flop, I'm going to put you on overcards... and I wouldn't think your kicker is as good as it was since you failed to bet it.

I'm also not going to respect your turn bet. Clearly you don't have a six. You don't have a jack (unless you're slowplaying a set). So if you have a pp, its lower then a jack. But since I put you on overcards, its possible my Ace high is as good as yours... possibly even better.

-- I occasionally get a case of the 'weak plays.' But I reflect on my best winning nights, its because of continued aggression. If you raise with pocket jacks and the board comes A-8-2.... often you'll take it with a bet. They don't know that you don't have AK. When you check, you're telling them "I DIDN'T MAKE THE FLOP... TAKE THIS POT FROM ME."

Again... if you raised UTG with AK and 5 people called and you missed the flop... betting is dumb. Someone will have you beat. But headsup... if you bet the flop you probably would have had it.

joewatch
02-14-2005, 04:55 PM
I agree- bet the flop (1/2-1X pot) . Even though you didn't make your draw, there's a very good chance that it didn't help villain either and you have the best hand. You have 2 ways to win - either villain will fold, or you might improve on the turn to win. If you get called, then check-fold the turn if you don't improve. Betting a draw on the turn is a mortal sin /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NiR
02-14-2005, 05:05 PM
bet the flop. check/fold turn if unimproved.

attetude
02-14-2005, 05:06 PM
thanks for all your help thusfar.....keep it comming please

attetude

Raiser
02-14-2005, 05:08 PM
You should definitely bet the flop here. It is very unlikely to have hit villain enough for him to call. If he calls, then you can decide what to do on the turn. But if you aren't going to bet this flop with AK, I don't think you should even raise PF.