PDA

View Full Version : A play from the big blind

TheAmp
02-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Here is a BB play, from a 50+5 at Party.
In backgammon, there is the "blunder follows blunder" rule:
A cube error is usually followed by a bad checker play. This observation may apply in poker as well...
I was dealt K9o in the BB. Early position miniraised, and it was folded to me. I was saying to myself "lets pay 100 to see the flop, I might be able to double up on the suckers expense". well, it turned out that I was the sucker...

Preflop: looks like an easy fold in retrospect. I am dominated by too many hands, and the rest of the time I am a substantial dog. If that isn't enough, I am crippled out of position.

Flop: I think my bet was fine. gotta give him a price to draw (overcards or flush, straight draw not likely here), or call incorrectly with middle or bottom pair.
After reraise: My first reaction is "overpair", but the only pocket pair that would justify a min raise is AA (trap play). I would expect a bigger raise to protect hands like QQ KK from overcards. JJ and TT are possible, even tough a bigger raise would seem better.
he might have an A9 that beats me as well.
on the otherhand, he might be betting a flush draw with an A such as A2s, or two overcards or even 88 or lower PP.
I also beat T9 J9, that he might (though not likely from EP min raise esp if suited).

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed...
converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t705)
MP2 (t975)
CO (t2050)
Button (t895)
SB (t1240)
Hero (t1045)
UTG (t1680)
UTG+1 (t1410)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t450) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t275</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t845 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t245.

Turn: (t2140) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2140) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2140

Irieguy
02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
An UTG minraise in level 4 is always a hand.

You have to muck K-9 as easily as you would muck 2-9 (in fact, 2-9 may be better.)

Your play on the flop wins you a T-shirt. The T-shirt says "I'm a Monkey" on the front and back. You have to wear it all day.

I'm just having some fun with you, Amp. You know this is bad poker. The only reason you would post this hand is because you are a glutton for punishment. Maybe I can soften the blow by ridiculing you first.

Irieguy

swarm
02-14-2005, 05:15 PM
K9off is a straight up dog of a hand, no reason to play this, especially out of position... How happy was UTG, the only person that called his raise is one of the 2 people he has position on. I'd be straight up drooling if I was him.

What was your plan if you matched your king? Way too many hands UTG could raise with that has a King. Even if you were to hit a straight AK has your straight beat (another likely UTG raise).

JoeTable
02-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I pretty much hate this entire hand. sorry.

TheAmp
02-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks...thats what I wanted to hear. I got the T-shirt on.
You guys might laugh, but I am happy that UTG showed TT (offsuit, what a sucker raise) - this hand cost me 55 bucks but its gonna save me a lot more.
Actually, it only cost me 38.5$. Someone else is wearing a T-shirt that says "I have 30% of this monkey".