PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at a Nice Buffet

swede123
02-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Went to a nice buffet this weekend, ended up costing about 100 bucks for the two of us (food + some wine) and I wasn't sure what you're supposed to tip. Is it still 15-20% or what?

Cheers,

Swede

pshreck
02-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I tip nothing at buffets. I am not being served my food. At the nicer buffets where I am served beer, the server usually just asks quickly what drink I want, and they are rarely quick at getting new drinks/refills because they have other jobs. I don't feel guilty because logically, I find no reason to tip at a buffet.

Reef
02-14-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find no reason to tip at a buffet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tip <10%

pshreck
02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
If anything, you would tip 15-20% on your drink service, but why in the hell on food? There is no service there to be tipping on.

kipin
02-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Tipping at buffets has been a topic of debate between me and my friends.

I say the people are getting paid crap and should get something for bringing drinks, and clearing the plates. My friends are all cheap bastards who disagree.

I normally leave like 10%... probably about what Miss Manners would say to leave.

swede123
02-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the input. I ended up tipping about 5 bucks to make it an even hundred for the night, just wanted to be sure I wasn't being a gimp.

Thanks,

Swede

Ulysses
02-14-2005, 02:54 PM
5 to 10% (http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageBuffet.html)

5 to 10% (or $1/pp at cheap Vegas buffets) (http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewTravelWatchArticle?headline=Tips+on+tipping)

captZEEbo1
02-14-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say the people are getting paid crap and should get something for bringing drinks, and clearing the plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you tip people at McDonalds who might be working even harder for even less money? I'm with Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs (although I do tip people fairly generously).

kipin
02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
No, but when you pay with a credit card at McDonalds there is no tip section.

Tipping at a buffet, and tipping at a fast food restaurant is entirely different as well.

mistrpug
02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
My standard is $2 per person with a overall min of $5, unless the level of service is exceptionally good or bad.

B Dids
02-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Don't be a cheap bastard and tip. I'd leave around 15, but I'm an over tipper.

daryn
02-14-2005, 03:38 PM
tip like $5 per person

CCass
02-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make [censored].
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a [censored] Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you never ever tip, huh?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, this girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. But she wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

peachy
02-14-2005, 04:25 PM
i leave about 15% at places like that and 20%+ at other resturants, i used to be a server and bar tenderess, so i know how much it sucks when u get stiffed for tips and u arent makin anything an hr. The way i figure it im gonna blow that extra few dollars on god knows what so y not just leave it for them where its greatly appreciated! Plus u never know how many people have tipped them horribly that day or week /images/graemlins/frown.gif

fatmongo
02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
If they're just picking up plates, tip $2-3. If its a nicer buffet where they bring you your drinks (which I hate), $5. Per person.

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Depends on how cute the waitress is, whether or not I get her phone number.

Lawrence

jakethebake
02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
<5% at a buffet.

stabn
02-14-2005, 07:47 PM
I do $1 a person if it's cheap, 2$ if it's cheap and the service is above average. I tipped total $5 for good service at the mirage buffet when i was there on Sunday(~48 for two).

MHarris
02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
The people who are bringing your drinks and clearing your plates are still making less than min. wage, most likely. This has been the case in the few restaurants I worked in that had a Sunday brunch buffet. I'm not sure if this is the case in a restaurant that is buffet only. Regardless, I tip >15%.