PDA

View Full Version : AA no good?

suspicious_mind
02-14-2005, 01:23 PM
10$+1 NL shootout qualifier, winner gets a seat in the 1 table final, everone else gets nothing.

I pick up AA in the BB in the second hand of the tournament everyone has 1500. Blinds are 10-20, 5-6 limpers to me.

I make it 200, Too big raise? I donīt really like messing around with AA, to easy to lose your stack so I want to make it expensive for anyone who want to see a flop.

UTG calls, he is a very solid player and I think he has a big hand here, AK, QQ-88 even KK could be a possibility, one more player calls in late position, no read on him but I donīt think he has a very strong hand because I would have expected him to raise all those limpers, maybe medium PP.

Flop comes J22 with 2 diamonds. Pot is about 700 and I make it 400, mistake? I should bet more here right? I didnīt want to loose UTG because I was putting him on a strong second best hand, he knows I have a big hand so if I push to hard I might lose him.
Both players call. Iīm putting UTG on AdKd, QQ-88 maybe even KK, not sure what other guy has but Iīm thinking flush draw or pocket pair. Pot is now about 2000 and we all have 900 left.

Turn is a J. I hate that card but Iīm not conviced that Iīm beat, I mean who calls a 200 raise preflop with a J?

I still check though. Is that a mistake? Maybe I should bet to try and get rid of a flush draw, however I didnīt think anyone was putting me on a J so I thought if I bet someone might raise with a flush draw to push me off my hand.

UTG checks and LPP moves all-in for 900. Whoa what is he doing? no way he would play a J like that right? He would make a small bet to try and suck me in and then finnish the job on the river, and how could he even have a J I mean he had to have called my raise with AJ or something.
So Iīm not really putting him on the J, Iīm thinking he has a pocket pair or a flush-draw and wants to push me out. I only have to have the best hand 25% of the time here so I end up calling all-in.

dhaakonp
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Flop comes J22 with 2 diamonds. Pot is about 700 and I make it 400, mistake? I should bet more here right? I didnīt want to loose UTG because I was putting him on a strong second best hand, he knows I have a big hand so if I push to hard I might lose him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with that flop I wouldn't mind losing him and coming out with +700 chips.

11t
02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Preflop and flop bets are fine, I prefer playing AA super aggressively in low buy in tournaments real early on. I might bet more on the flop though simply to chase away any diamond draws, however imo only fools chase flushes on paired boards.

I would put LPP on TT and call him.

If all else fails, river the ace /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mez
02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Agree with 11t. I probably bet at least the pot on the flop. Only afraid of JJ and x2 (can't imagine anyone holds that called your raise....wait - $10 level, yes I can, but not likely). I would see that allin as a bluff (or semi-bluff if he has a draw). If the 2nd J helped him, why would he push then? I would call his allin.

suspicious_mind
02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Well LPP had JTs and no the ace didnīt hit on the river, so I was out in the second deal. I wish I could say this was a new record for me but Iīve actually done one better. /images/graemlins/blush.gif
I will take your advice and bet more on the flop in the future. Thanks for the replies.

tdarko
02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
that is surprising, i was thinking your preflop thoughts were correct with QQ and possibly KK. calling that preflop raise of 200 that early in the tourney with a suited connector is a little reckless IMO

suspicious_mind
02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Yea I thought so too, I guess he thought he had implied odds or something I donīt know, I mean he was only getting about 3:1 preflop, maybe 10:1 if you consider he would probably take my stack if he hits 2 pair or better. I donīt think thatīs enough though especially considering that he will call 400 on that flop with only a pair of jacks, guess he put me on AK. /images/graemlins/confused.gif