PDA

View Full Version : Set vs. Flush Board

bear187
02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

River: (12.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

davelin
02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
3-bet the flop if you're going to bet out.

bear187
02-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Why? If you don't mind explaining /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TwoShedsJackson
02-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Because raising there might knock out single hearts and you want to force them out by making the field call two cold, if they call you still have ten outs to beat a flush.

bear187
02-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Reraising still gives them 9-1 cold calling, isn't that sufficient for a single card flush draw?

Edit: And should I have check/called the flop instead?

davelin
02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
The raise is mostly for value, perhaps single hearts may fold but the pot is pretty large. It's too early to give anyone credit for the flopped flush, even if so your equity is still large enough for a raise.

sy_or_bust
02-14-2005, 01:26 PM
It doesn't matter. They may be correct to call your 3-bet, but 3-betting the flop is +EV for YOU and absolutely mandatory. You need to fastplay this set and get as many hearts as possible to toss in chips for their draw.

Your play was pretty horrible in charging less on the flop and nothing on the turn (a major error). By the time you reach the river multi-handed, the OESD that has appeared on the board basically counterfeits your hand. You should never be in this situation without charging the field at least another 1.5BB each for weak draws.

Wario
02-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Don't worry too much about protecting/giving opponents bad odds to draw with this hand because it isn't going to happen. Try to focus on getting as many bets in as possible with your awesome hand that comes with a great redraw. I'd bet/3-bet the flop.

Check/raising the turn would be good but I don't think CO will bet often enough to be +EV. Even though CO raised the flop it's still likely he missed it and this is a dangerous board to be giving a free card on.

River seems good since it's as scary as hell.

SeeWillie
02-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, I'll take a stab here.

If you 3-bet You might fold out a low-single /images/graemlins/heart.gif that is afraid you are holding the made flush with a high /images/graemlins/heart.gif. A small bit of value may be gained by folding out a str8 draw, which is hard to focus on here with the monochrome board, and I moght not have thought of it without seeing the turn card. Finally, this might be one of those occasions where the information gained adds value to your raise. If you are capped, you can be fairly confident someone has the made flush (probably with a high /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

davelin
02-14-2005, 01:31 PM
I just did some quick calcs and even if you were against a flopped flush, you have a 33% of your boat coming through by the river. If you're against a lone-heart draw, your equity shoots up to like 50% or so. So on average your equity is around 40%, an easy value raise.

bear187
02-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Damn. Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I guess I really blundered on this one &gt;.&lt;