PDA

View Full Version : AJo hand - Interpreting a check raise on the turn

wahooriver
02-14-2005, 12:33 PM
I have about 40 hands on the villian - clearly very loose with calling and raising. I think preflop and flop is straightforward value betting.

When he check raises I spent quite some time deciding whether or not to call. I understood that a call was a 2BB decision. I guess I could have reraised for information - but did not think of that at the time.

So - what is villian likely to have? Would you play this any differently?

Answer to follow if anyone is interested.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB

Joe826
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I play the same. I think learning to fold to turn check/raises when you need to is a must in this game, but there are also definetly times to call down and this is one of them. There's a nice straight draw and a flush draw out there on the turn, which makes a great bored for semi-bluffing, especially with the paired board and against a loose raiser. I think you're good 1 in 4 times.

mikeyKay
02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
i agree, the board is a perfect set up for a semi-bluff...id call it down.

-mike

cab4656
02-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Maybe I'm giving the average player too much credit, but when someone uses a check-raise (or any raise, really) to make it two cold to the field, I'm less likely to give him credit for a big hand. I would call this down.