PDA

View Full Version : A variation of PWNing Limpers - your thoughts?

DonT77
02-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Yesterday I played in a 50+5 B&M NLHE Freezeout - 26 of 66 players remained with top 7 getting paid. Avg stack was t7600 and the blinds were at t600/300, I had t3300 left after the blinds passed me by. With my only 5.5BBs in front of me I needed to make a move or get cards quick. I had a tight image, playing only 1-2 hands per orbit. So I'm thinking that if I get a chance to go all-in over a couple of limpers I'll take my chance.

Here's the hand-

SB posts 300, BB posts 600, utg folds, utg+1 calls, folds to MP2 who calls, folds to hero on button with 87o who raises to t3300 all-in (betting t3300 to win t2100).

My thinking is that I have to make a move soon, utg+1 and MP2 have not shown strength, if I get called by a hand like AJ or A9s then at least I'll have 2 live cards, and if I get called by a small PP then I'm coin-flipping. Plus, this is the last orbit I'll have any folding equity with my all-in raise as next orbit I'll be down to t2400 with blinds at 400/800 (3xBB).

Like the play or hate the play?

Jibbs
02-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I certainly don't hate this play unless UTG+1,SB, or BB is extremely short stacked. They might call with almost any two in that situation.

Its a gutsy play, hopefully you got paid off for it.

DonT77
02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
SB & BB folded, UTG+1 called (he had few more chips than me), MP2 folded.

UTG+1 revealed KJo

No help for hero's 87o. Hero goes out in 26th. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I did notice that all day Saturday (on-line) and all day Sunday (live), that pot sized bets (or more) over 2+ limpers was called over 80% of the time. Granted, one weekend is a small sample - but I agree with Sam T.'s post today, that in the lower buy-in MTTs, you'll get called most of the time (so you better have a playable hand, or position and a good read on your opponent IMO).