PDA

View Full Version : Check raise here good or too loose?

Dave G.
02-14-2005, 09:08 AM
MP2 is an eagle with 14%/7%/0.88 after 180 hands, so pretty weak postflop. I thought I'd try and take advantage of that. How is this sort of play over the long term?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

reubenf
02-14-2005, 09:26 AM
He 3-bet preflop and he's 14%/7%. You've got to be behind on that flop almost always.

topspin
02-14-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
14%/7%/0.88

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
so pretty weak postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that the 0.88 means passive, not weak, right? One of the easiest ways to get a low postflop aggression is to call down every hand. Unless you have a personal read, don't misuse the PT stats.

Someone who folds a lot actually has a higher aggression since they have fewer calldowns.

Dave G.
02-14-2005, 09:37 AM
That's what I suspected, but I thought I might bump him off his hand given his weak postflop play. Is this just being wreckless? Am I putting too much value into these numbers?

reubenf
02-14-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I suspected, but I thought I might bump him off his hand given his weak postflop play. Is this just being wreckless? Am I putting too much value into these numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think you put far too little value into the first two numbers, and maybe misinterpreted the third. He plays only 14% of hands, and raises only 7% of those. Now he probably also had a bit of a bad run in there, but it indicates to me he's got AA, KK, QQ, AK and not likely anything else. I check/fold this flop.

Also, his AF &lt; 1 just means he calls more often than betting or raising. AF is (bet% + raise%)/call%. So he probably doesn't bet as often as others (so you should respect his flop bet a bit more than an autobet), and he probably calls when others would fold as well (so you shouldn't try to bluff him as much).

I hope he showed you KK.

Dave G.
02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Ah thankyou both, you're absolutely right. For some reason this didn't click until you spelled it out for me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well he had KK and I got lucky. Guess I'll be more careful.

sy_or_bust
02-14-2005, 10:30 AM
AF &gt; 1 would mean you FOLD and BET/RAISE more than you call. This guy leans toward the opposite. Postflop AF will rise the more often you fold.

Mister Z
02-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I have a tendency of throwing my aggression around at not-so oportune times like you did here. I think a case could almost be made for calling one bet on the flop here, but given that you are sorely dominated by almost every hand that he could possibly 3-bet with, you should probably fold. I'm glad you posted this - made me think.