PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me this is standard

spydog
02-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Opponent is loose and aggressive pre/post flop.
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.70 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

Guy McSucker
02-14-2005, 07:09 AM
This is not standard. Raising the flop is standard.

Board is absolutely chock full of draws so there are lots of turn cards which either beat you or scare the other guy out of giving you the action you crave.

Guy.

krishanleong
02-14-2005, 07:52 AM
This is standard. The problem is a scare card came and you didn't adjust.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the idea behind waiting until the turn on a draw filled board is to charge draws the most. If that's the goal, there is no shame in slowing down once the 4-straight board hits. I think there is a chance villian has 2-pair or 1-pair as he would of 3-bet you with a straight. I guess if you can fold to a turn 3-bet it's not so bad, but I'd rather just call down.

Also, if you raise the flop and a scare card falls, you can set yourself up for a turn check-raise. Raising the flop does not charge missed draws the most.

Krishan

imitation
02-14-2005, 08:19 AM
I think the concept of charging draws HU is overrated...I like to get the money in the pot when I have the best of it and charge people to see the turn which is OFTEN where they give up HU.

Guy McSucker
02-14-2005, 11:24 AM
The trouble here is that there are lots of potential scare cards, and most of them leave you with the best hand but with an opponent who will not give you action. Heads up, I am more concerned with losing my market than I am with protecting my hand: if he has a real draw he's seeing the river anyway, and if he doesn't he's making mistakes by calling regardless of when I raise, so I don't have to worry about protection.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if you raise the flop and a scare card falls, you can set yourself up for a turn check-raise. Raising the flop does not charge missed draws the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's not going to check-raise bluff you on a scary board, there's no problem here. He has to pay two bets to get to the turn, and if he then outdraws and check-raises you, well, you fold. You thus charge him more to get there and give him less after he gets there.

If he's the sort who will check-raise bluff, that's another story.

Guy.