PDA

View Full Version : To the NYC crowd -- the Gates?

bolgenmod
02-14-2005, 03:16 AM
I have to ask -- has anyone from NYC been to Central Park to see the Gates? I live about 3 1/2 hours from the City and wonder whether I should make the drive. And, after all, who better to ask about a once-in-a-lifetime art installation than a bunch of poker players?

NJchick
02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Im thinking of going. Just to be part of the hoopala.

Here are some neat pics.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/socialdiary/2005/02_14_05/socialdiary02_14_05.php

pshreck
02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
What a monumental waste of time and money.

swede123
02-14-2005, 12:04 PM
What a ginormous waste of money and time.

I don't have a problem with modern "art" per se. Hey, if someone wants to pay money to buy a handful used condoms arranged just so, more power to him.

But when vast sums of money is spent on large exhibits like this Gates thing it makes me wonder.

Couldn't they put up one thing of orange drapes, or ten. Is it really that much more thought provoking and beautiful just because there's hundreds of those ugly orange drapes all over the place?

Bleh,

Swede

turnipmonster
02-14-2005, 12:10 PM
I went saturday night. I thought it was cool, although I am not sure I would drive 3.5 hours to see it. it literally is just a bunch of orange gates, so you might get there and be like "wtf!? all this for orange gates?" if you do go, it would be better to go during the day.

--turnipmonster

turnipmonster
02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
the artist donated 3 million to nyc parks. I am pretty sure the exhibit is +EV for the city.

--turnipmonster

bdk3clash
02-14-2005, 12:22 PM
An article in the Times I read over the weekend said that the project cost $20 million, which was financed by the artists themselves, and is expected to generate $80 million for the city.

What a waste of time and money indeed.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-14-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a monumental waste of time and money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have said colossal, but monumental works here too.

boedeker
02-14-2005, 12:39 PM
giant installations happen to be my favorite type of art, and this was no exception, i wish the color was something other than home depot orange, but whatev.

as for the money, the artist funded it themselves so whats the big deal, with the intention of making money off of the sketches and such, thus what is the big deal?

turnipmonster
02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
it's no more of a waste of time and money than any other kind of art, music or film.

--turnipmonster

junkmail3
02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
If you like installation art, you would probably like this. I've liked some of the things this guy has done in the past. I went up on Saturday to see the gates, and I thought it was pretty awesome.

I also was standing by the road in central park when I saw the caravan carrying christo (the artist) and his wife, they had the windows on their maybach rolled down and were enjoying the view as they rolled by at 5mph. I thought that was pretty cool.

This board is just full of squares.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I find that the people who enjoy this kind of thing and say it's money well spent are also often the same ones who decry lack of spending on other more important things, as well as complaining about 'wasted' money on things like the space program. Tally it up to different priorities, I guess - I prefer more practical things that produce beneficial results.

Okay, this crap generates tourism, so it's a net financial gain for the city, but then the waste is just by the people who go to see it instead of by the city - it's just passing the buck.

turnipmonster
02-14-2005, 03:31 PM
if I go to a concert and enjoy the music, is that a waste? if I go to an art exhibit and enjoy the art, is that a waste also?

I find that the people who enjoy this kind of thing and say it's money well spent are also often the same ones who decry lack of spending on other more important things

sounds like someone has more issues than a magazine rack. have some chipotle, and enjoy art!
--turnipmonster

turnipmonster
02-14-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
guess - I prefer more practical things that produce beneficial results.

[/ QUOTE ]

just out of curiosity, do you hate music as well? if not, how is an art exhibit (which is free btw) any different from going to a free concert?

I fail to see how this is any different than paul simon's concert in central park, other than the fact nyc makes more money off this. was that also a waste?

--turnipmonster

Jake (The Snake)
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
i hope it looks better come spring/summer... right now blah comes to mind

MaxPower
02-14-2005, 05:00 PM
In the past I had heard of Christo and I always thought he must be some kind of weirdo.

Having seem him and his wife on local TV and 60 Minutes in the past week, they seem like really nice unpretentious people and I really like their philosophy of art.

The whole thing was paid for by the artists and there were no corporate donations. The city paid nothing and will benefit from tourism.

I'll have to go by the park to check it out.

colgin
02-14-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i hope it looks better come spring/summer... right now blah comes to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Gates" will be gone long before then. Hurry up and see them now. Only 14 dyas left.

Evan
02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the name for these things sucks? I don't think of gates when I look at them, I think of fuc[/i]king drapes.

I haven't been up to see them yet but maybe if I feel adventurous this weekend I'll venture up there. Drivign 3 1/2 hours seems a little crazy but if you want to do and then go ahead I suppose.

colgin
02-14-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's no more of a waste of time and money than any other kind of art, music or film.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are trying to say that spending time or money on art in its various forms is not a per se waste then I completely agree. If you are saying that spending time or money on art is never a waste then I disagree. I think there is much art is a total waste of time and money. We can of course diagree on which works of art those are.

Ray Zee
02-15-2005, 04:52 AM
seeing this will be something to remember all your life. dont miss it. the immediate reaction may not be positive at first but after it sinks in it will at some point. trust me.
your eyes and your memories are all that we have. great things live on in your head.

turnipmonster
02-15-2005, 11:06 AM
right, point being I found it very odd people who haven't seen the exhibit are calling it a waste of money. how on earth do they know, unless all exhibits of this type are a waste of money?

--turnipmonster