PDA

View Full Version : The only thing that can make TSC give up Halo 2.

wacki
02-14-2005, 02:52 AM
XBOX-2

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6766

It's been known in industry circles for months, but the news is now finally starting to leak. You'll be able to buy the next generation Xbox in both America and Europe in 2005, say experts.

I wonder what the specs are going to be.

ilya
02-14-2005, 02:59 AM
This is old news to gamers. I'm a bit more excited about the PS3, though it looks like Microsoft will get the jump on Sony this time.

BusterStacks
02-14-2005, 03:02 AM
I want teh PSP.

wacki
02-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Old news??? How long have you guys known XBOX-2 will be out by Oct/Nov?

Tron
02-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Word on the streets is that the XBOX 2 won't be nearly as impressive as the PS3... Apparently Microsoft has realized that they need to tone things down so they don't lose money on every unit sold anymore.

AngryCola
02-14-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Old news??? How long have you guys known XBOX-2 will be out by Oct/Nov?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been suspected for a few months. The news is supposed to hit big at E3.

HD optional = lame

The xbox developers had been using the HD to allow games to run faster. I hope whatever solution they've come up with is a good one.

wacki
02-14-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The xbox developers had been using the HD to allow games to run faster. I hope whatever solution they've come up with is a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know virtual ram made that significant of an impact for video games.

[ QUOTE ]
HD optional = lame

[/ QUOTE ]

So you prefer HD in every console?

mmbt0ne
02-14-2005, 03:09 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
This is old news to gamers. I'm a bit more excited about the PS3, though it looks like Microsoft will get the jump on Sony this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please explain to someone who used to be really into video games what the deal is with the PS3 and XBOX2? I stopped really caring about games after the dreamcast went under, and only bought a PS2 because I was hella bored after getting my wisdom teeth taken out. I still haven't gotten around to buying an XBOX, but all my friends with their NES/SNES/Genesis libraries of emulators make me want to get one and chip it.

ThaSaltCracka
02-14-2005, 03:12 AM
I have heard some BS that the new xbox will have an updated version of Halo 2 saved to it, apparently this Halo 2 will be V2.5.

I swear if this happens I will [censored] throw something.

wacki
02-14-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I swear if this happens I will [censored] throw something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Isn't that a good thing?

AngryCola
02-14-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't know virtual ram made that significant of an impact for video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it does. The information can be retrieved off a HD faster than from the DVD drive. Almost all of the big xbox games use the HD to speed up their performance.

[ QUOTE ]
So you prefer HD in every console?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course!
But Microsoft lost money on every xbox they sold. The standard HD was a big reason for this. But the company had already decided upfront that they would take the loss just to gain a quick entrance into the console scene. They accomplished that, so now they are trying to turn the xbox line into a more profitable product.

The main problems I see coming are how the games are developed with the knowledge of an "optional" HD. Will they take advantage of the optional HD's performance? Or will the fact that it's an option discourage the devs. from even trying to plan for it?

Also, the next xbox is supposed to be backwards compatible. How is the new system going to handle the old games which made use of the HD? I guess only time (E3) will tell.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-14-2005, 11:40 AM
It's simple. The HD is 'optional' the same way that controllers and games are 'optional'.