PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker... worth trying?

snapfc01
02-14-2005, 02:44 AM
hey guys... i'm pretty new to playing sngs and have been reading this form non stop for probably 3 weeks. it seems like everyone plays at Party Poker. I have not played anywhere other then Poker Stars and was wondering if i should check out party poker. i know it would be a change going from a 1500 starting stack to 800... but i've heard it's easier there and wanted to know what everyone could tell me about it. i mostly play 10+1 sngs if that changes anything.

thanks
Gerard

Drac
02-14-2005, 02:49 AM
The 10+1's are a freaking cash machine. Even during the day they're incredibly soft and at night...wow. You will get some crazy ass bad beats that make absolutely no sense at all (gut shots calling all in's and sending you down the river) but in the end it's all good.

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have not played anywhere other then Poker Stars and was wondering if i should check out party poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party is more profitable because it's much softer, but I must warn you. Many players lose their a$$es when first making the switch, because the style of play you need to succeed is vastly different at party, not only because of the structure, but because of the different caliber of players. I personally had great success at Stars 20 and 30 tourneys, but when I moved to Party, I got absolutely murdered at first.

Some advice when you first switch. Don't follow these forever, but they are a good policy to use while making the adjustment.

1) Don't bluff. EVER. Don't even semi-bluff.
2) Read number 1 again. I mean it.
3) Lean toward the higher end of your raising range PF. That means if you normally raise 4-5 BBs with a particular hand, usually raise 5.
4) If there is an ace on the flop, and you don't have an ace, usually check/fold.
5) Budget for a higher bankroll than you might normally require. there will be bigger swings because of wild play, and your results will probably be poor at first. I know this is paradoxical, but it happens to almost everyone who moves from Stars to Party.

These can all be abandoned gradually as you get a feel for Party, but while you're learning, they will save you a ton of money. I wish I had done it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

lorinda
02-14-2005, 03:01 AM
You will win more/lose less at Party, however if you're still new to poker (you say new to sngs, so you might not be) it might be better to stick to what you know while you learn more about strategy and gain confidence.

At some point soon you'll want to be moving to Party, but it might be best to do so when you've won a "spare" $300 that you don't mind using to learn with.

You'll learn more about poker playing at Stars, although your hourly rate will be higher at Party.

Lori

snapfc01
02-14-2005, 03:14 AM
thanks for the thoughts... more are always welcome... i'll let you knwo how the advise goes AR. i have a few hundred i have won on ps and was gonna transfer some thru netell (porbably just 110) but i can always get more if needed. and to anser your ? lorinda... i'm new to playing online... have about a year of serious live play and about 3 months of studying the game before i started playing live. so i'm far from the most experienced but i have a decent knowledge of the game... not nearly what you do from what i've been told though

thanks all
Gerard

lorinda
02-14-2005, 03:15 AM
so i'm far from the most experienced but i have a decent knowledge of the game

That should be fine.

Expect bigger swings at first while you adjust and good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lori

Merlyn22
02-14-2005, 04:24 AM
How about adjustments moving from party to starz?

snapfc01
02-14-2005, 04:26 AM
i get another 700 chips to work with lol /images/graemlins/smile.gif