PDA

View Full Version : Butt end of SF draw

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Hero has 4d 9c on BB, 900 chips. 3 limpers. Level 1.

Flop:
4c 5d 6d

Hero bets the pot (80). 2 callers.

Turn: 7d
Hero bets 200. One fold. Villain raises all-in. (has hero covered).

Hero?? Comments on all plays welcome.

dhaakonp
02-14-2005, 03:44 AM
I don't know how worthy my input is being that I only have 1 post.

But in this case I'd fold you're at level 1 and you have a pair of 4's. Villian is showing strength and looks to have the straight or the flush or the straight flush. I think it's an easy fold. Pick a better battle theres plenty of time and chips left.

Merlyn22
02-14-2005, 04:08 AM
fold - you're definately beat - after your turn bet, not many would raise unless they knew they had you beat.

nothumb
02-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Easy fold.

I don't really like the pot-sized lead on the flop either. With bottom pair and a few back door draws (which are suspect anyway) there is no reason to get so involved here.

On the turn, you are quite likely drawing to only 3 or 4 outs. You could be against a made straight. Easy fold.

NT

david050173
02-14-2005, 05:30 AM
On the turn there are 4 to a straight and 3 diamonds on board. Other than a bluff what are you beating? I think the real problem is that you put in 1/3 of your stack with this weak of hand. Fold on the flop to any action and save your chips for level 3 and 4

Scuba Chuck
02-14-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero bets the pot (80). 2 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I REALLY don't like the 2 callers part. I usually go into check-fold mode here. You took your chance at it already. Just say "your welcome" when villain takes the pot.

EDIT: Oh, I see, two outs to the nuts. I didn't get the 'SF' part of subject line. My bad. HMMMM, yuk. I used to play these.

gumpzilla
02-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Yes, two outs to the nuts, but a very good chance that half or all of the other outs are dead or will split the pot, and the pot is definitely not laying him 22:1 to go for those nut outs.

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Ok, I agree that it's an easy fold on the reraise. (I folded at the table).

The real question is, was it a terrible blunder to bet the turn in the first place?

Let me walk you through my thought process. On the flop, I figured I had the best hand. That flop didn't seem very likely to have hit anyone else, and it was unraised PF, so I bet the pot expecting to take it down. I was not in the least bit pleased to get two callers. I thought a flush draw was possible, but far from certain. I thought a straight draw was nearly out of the question. I put them on middle overpairs, or overcards like QJ or KJ.

When the SF card falls on the turn, I'm looking more at my straight possibility than my lousy flush draw. I figure if no one has a made flush yet, I still either have the best hand or have 13 outs to it, and the flush card will probably scare the others out. Even if someone does have a made flush I have 2 outs /images/graemlins/wink.gif. So I bet a little less than the pot to see where I'm at. When villain comes over the top, I fold.

Should I have just gone into check/fold mode instead? (My own answer: Probably.)

11t
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Easy fold but terrible betting. You semi-bluffed at a pot while out of position with several limpers preflop.

I would put the person who pushed between a ten and queen high flush and was simply attempting to protect their hand. I can see somebody doing this with ad-(7/6) where they have hit a pair or ad-8. I would discount ad-x simply because with the levels you play I do not think most players would play such a weak hand so early.

I do have issues with the bet on the flop. People limp in with small pairs (88-jj) all the time that early in a tournament and they have just hit their dream flop. I mean it isn't a TERRIBLE bet but I do not think that so early in the tournament you should be so willing to throw away 280 chips (over 25% of your stack) on such a weak hand.

You are better than this.

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not think that so early in the tournament you should be so willing to throw away 280 chips (over 25% of your stack) on such a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my thinking. I've been making some silly plays over the last couple of days. This is one of them. This is really another one of my "I know I blew it, but I won the tourney anyway so I need to collect some abuse" threads.

I think I'm allowing myself to get distracted. Perhaps my real post should have been something along the lines of, "how do I balance between preventing myself from becoming so bored I make silly plays, and distracting myself so much I make silly plays?"

Maybe I should start multi-tabling just so I have to play closer attention /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You are better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that. I sure hope I am /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Phil Van Sexton
02-14-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought a straight draw was nearly out of the question. I put them on middle overpairs, or overcards like QJ or KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this 20/2? 30/3? You are against 3 limpers (including the SB, I assume), so I don't know how you could rule out ANY hand.

As for how you played the hand.... You have bottom pair with a bad kicker. There's a straight and flush draw on the board. You are in bad position. The pot is small.

In summary, your hand sucks.

I suppose you could have the best hand on the flop, but I wouldn't count on it. Unless a 4 or 9 (non-diamond) comes on the turn, your hand is going to look really, really bad. Your bet on the flop is basically a bluff in my mind, and I don't like the chances of a bluff working with so many draws on the board.

You've already realized that your turn bet was pointless, so I have nothing to add there.

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 02:52 PM
The ironic thing is this might have been a +$EV play, because when I folded my hand, I thought to myself, "geez, why the hell did I play it like that?" (see earlier OWE thread). That caused me to wake up and pay attention again, and I ended up winning.

Thanks for providing me with my much-needed flames. Sometimes you just need a kick in the butt.