PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive/passive?

olavfo
02-14-2005, 12:59 AM
I sometimes raise with 99 from early position. Table is rather timid, and I expect a short-handed pot where my pair will have a decent chance.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 (Villain) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain checks.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

I put Villain on a big pair or AK. I have no problems calling on the turn after BB folds but I'm not sure if I should have called on the flop.

I have second pair + a backdoor flush that might or might not stand up. Also my pair could be the best hand at the moment if Villain has AK. Hard to judge my chances accurately, but I called even if the pot odds might not justify it. Was this too loose?

Also, should I have bet the river? Villain might call with a big pair (he has called with less before), but he might also have a better flush + betting gives him a chance to bluff-raise (I would have called).

olavfo

guitarhero14
02-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I dont play the .5/1 but i would probably fold on the turn.

olavfo
02-14-2005, 01:52 AM
I am heads up with 11 outs to a set or a flush and pot odds &gt; 7, so I figured it was worth a shot. Especially since the king on board is clubs (one less chance for Villain to end up with a bigger flush than me).

olavfo

flopwell
02-14-2005, 02:04 AM
I play .25/.5, but I would say PF maybe a little aggressive, and the flop call might not be wise....but the turn call is justified. I also think you should bet the river.

guitarhero14
02-14-2005, 02:06 AM
You are correct, thanx.

caggin
02-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Any reads on villain? (Tables aren't timid, people are timid!) If he's pretty passive, I think I bet out on the flop and fold to a raise. You've only got 2 outs to the 9 if he's got a bigger pair, and your BD flush isn't worth much IMO.

olavfo
02-14-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on villain?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mostly passive and does not appear to be confident. Capable of calling to showdown with ace-rag junk (as long as it's not raised). Rarely raises and never with marginal hands from what I've seen. So when he reraises me preflop I immediately suspect a strong hand. During the time we have played he has only seen my strongest raising hands at showdown, so he should assume I don't raise with marginal hands either.

After reading the comments and thinking a bit, I must agree that my flop play was bad. I'm too far behind. But I would still call the turn, though.

olavfo

Bob Moss
02-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi olavfo, nice avatar. I think pre-flop and flop are fine. I'd probably check-fold the turn, because if you weren't behind already, you probably are now, and your draw is pretty bad. But since you did get to the river I think check-call is the way to go there.

Bob