PDA

View Full Version : DVD Review: Poker Secrets from Poker Champs

deacsoft
02-14-2005, 12:11 AM
This is a DVD filled with interviews of 15 professional poker players. The interviews are hosted by Susie Isaacs (two time WSOP bracelet winner). The players interviewed are: John Benetti, Vince Burgio, "Miami John" Cernuto, Johnny Chan, T.J. Cloutier, Barbara Enright, Ted Forrest, Russ Hamilton, Jennifer Harmon, Phil Ivey, Tom McEvoy, Daniel Negreanu, Scotty Nguyen, Ronnie Stanley, and Marsha Waggoner. The DVD is greatly geared toward poeple that would like to begin playing poker as recreation or as a source of income. It should not be thought of as an instructional poker DVD. The questions asked in the interviews are often the same for each player being interviewed and are answered by often similar answers. It may provide someone who has never done more than watch poker on ESPN with some things to consider before getting started but not much else. None of the questions covered in the interviews go in to depth at all. There is also a section on Money Management that is listed as a bonus feature. Again, it is very general. The section also replays a lot of the same footage included in the regular/main interviews. The entire DVD runs about 2.5 hours.

To me the best value of the DVD was of the entertainment kind. Some of the interviews caused me to crack a few smiles and an occasional laugh. I also didn't mind getting to see some of my favorite well known pros in an environment away from the poker table. You get to see a little of their personality show through in the interviews.

Bottom Line: Not worth buying unless you've never/barely played poker before.

If there are any questions about the DVD that I didn't address please feel free to post them below, and I'll answer them the best I can.

oreogod
02-14-2005, 04:07 AM
any of them talk if they learned on their own or from books and such? This has always been a curiosity of mine, how people get started in the things they do.

By the way, your new avatar kicks the chair avatars ass.

deacsoft
02-14-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any of them talk if they learned on their own or from books and such? This has always been a curiosity of mine, how people get started in the things they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How to get started in learning poker is one of the questions asked of nearly all of the players. Most of them mentioned books as one of (if not) the biggest learning tools. Playing penny games when they were little kids was also a popular answer. Nearly every one suggested getting and reading some books for beginning players.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, your new avatar kicks the chair avatars ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif