PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hand #2 - QQ again

dfscott
02-14-2005, 12:03 AM
3 hands after my QQ hand that I folded on the flop, I got QQ again.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t1625)
Hero (t480)
Button (t750)
SB (t980)
BB (t1145)
UTG (t930)
UTG+1 (t760)
MP1 (t840)
MP2 (t490)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.

It was folded to me, I went all-in and stole the blinds. I'm right at the 10BB level -- would a smaller raise be better here? I hate playing QQ slow because it's so vulnerable to overcards on the flop (see Newbie hand #1).

Edited to change the hand number to 2 - doh!

ChrisV
02-14-2005, 12:14 AM
*Tick*

ilya
02-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Pushing is fine. I think you could also raise to 200-250 and push any flop. It's riskier, but gives you a better chance of substantially increasing your stack. If the players behind you are more the agressive re-raising type, you could try a 150 raise. But I don't think that's a good amount to raise if you think you might get flat-called somewhere.

If you decide to push and everyone folds, it might be a good time to show your hand. This lets your opponents know that they should fold whenever you push, since you get a LOT of big pairs, and never slowplay them.

AtticusFinch
02-14-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm right at the 10BB level -- would a smaller raise be better here? I hate playing QQ slow because it's so vulnerable to overcards on the flop (see Newbie hand #1).

[/ QUOTE ]

The 10 BB rule is not set in stone, and should really be more like the 8BB rule, anyway, especially when it's this early and you have time between paying blinds to catch hands.

Pushing here is not bad. Many will call with sub-par hands because you're a shortstack and they may see a push as a despration move. You'll run an excellent chance at doubling up if they do.

Personally, though, like an earlier poster said, I'd make a standard 4bb raise and try to get a litle action, then push any flop (with the possible exception of AKx). It's a little riskier, but it's probably the best shot at getting some breathing room you'll get for a while.

theredbaron
02-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi. I'm an SNG newbie (only a hundred or so so far). Here is my take:

QQ is a mighty strong hand. I (maybe mistakenly) don't routinely push with it. I do play it fast though.

Shortstacked as you are, you'd still _love_ a caller, even AK. The only hands you fear are AA KK. You'll get reraised by them and thats just the way the ball bounces.

It really depends on how the table is playing. If the players behind you are routinely calling "late steals", then pushing is your best option. If they are timid and folding to 3xbb bets, then maybe 2xbb and push the flop if you get called.

No real hard and fast rule other than "no one gets free cards when I have QQ". :-)

More knowledgeable pros feel free to flame away.

GimmeDaWatch
02-14-2005, 07:40 AM
I think pushing is ok, but personally Id make a smaller raise, as the blinds aren't big enough to really add some meat to your stack. You wanna double through, so while its a little riskier to make a smaller raise, that's what Id do.