PDA

View Full Version : Time to quit.

Ranged
02-14-2005, 12:02 AM
There is a crazy loose table on 1/2 party tonight. Too bad they are drawing out like crazy. I'm done for tonight.

www.geocities.com/myst_2/bad_news.JPG

Dead
02-14-2005, 12:28 AM
You'd rather have Rocky Road?

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A.
9 folds.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
9 folds.

Yes you don't get drawn out on, but you don't make any money either.

You know that saying, "you can't have one without the other"? It applies here.

Dead
02-14-2005, 12:32 AM
The most profitable tables are those with 9 passive players seeing the flop(along with you with your good hands). When you flop monsters like straights, flushes, and boats, they'll all pay you off.

CrazyEyez
02-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Party 1/2 has officially pushed me to suicide. Just finished another losing session.
http://webpages.charter.net/gsorensen/PP1-2.JPG

Someone talk me off the ledge.

Tom Spec
02-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Play a few thousand $0.50/$1 hands -- that'll make you feel better.

topspin
02-14-2005, 12:57 AM
How do you manage to have a W$SD of 61.22 and still lose 1.4BB/100? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly curious.) My losing streaks usually involve a few bad suckouts after pumping the pot, and that's normally reflected in W$SD.

TALLBrad
02-14-2005, 01:20 AM
He's only going to a showdown 21% of the time.

Without knowing the details it appears you are letting go of too many hands post-flop. Most of the winning people that I've seen usually go to Showdown in the 30-40% range. Their won $ at SD is usually in the mid 50%.

It may sound strange but you are probably costing yourself money by not seeing the showdowns. Sure you won't win most of them, but if you just go ahead and stick around in large pots then you might get plesently suprised every know and again and it's healthy for the win rate too...

digitalis
02-14-2005, 01:46 AM
If it makes you feel any better:

I just dropped 40+ BBs in about 50 hands. Always had a great but second best hand. Flop a set -> Someone hits their backdoor straight. Flop a flush draw and make it on the turn -> 4th flush card hits on the river and I lose to a higher flush, etc. Over and over again.

Glad someone else is feeling my pain tonight /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

CrazyEyez
02-14-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's only going to a showdown 21% of the time.

Without knowing the details it appears you are letting go of too many hands post-flop. Most of the winning people that I've seen usually go to Showdown in the 30-40% range. Their won $ at SD is usually in the mid 50%.

It may sound strange but you are probably costing yourself money by not seeing the showdowns. Sure you won't win most of them, but if you just go ahead and stick around in large pots then you might get plesently suprised every know and again and it's healthy for the win rate too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. After the first few thousand, I thought I might actually be hanging on TOO long, so I tightened up post flop. I'll have to go back and look at those numbers. The thing is, it doesn't seem like I fold very much where I would have ended up with the winner. I'll give it some thought though.
Thanks for the input.

Isura
02-14-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'd rather have Rocky Road?

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A.
9 folds.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
9 folds.

Yes you don't get drawn out on, but you don't make any money either.

You know that saying, "you can't have one without the other"? It applies here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens all the time at PP 1/2. But think about it: Every hand except AA (and maybe KK) has profit less than 1.5BB, so having say JJ or QQ folded around is definitely +EV.

EliteNinja
02-14-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party 1/2 has officially pushed me to suicide. Just finished another losing session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've dropped $300 in about 3000 hands once in 1/2.
It's a crazy swingy level.

Dead
02-14-2005, 02:56 AM
I disagree.

All you win is the SB then. JJ and QQ are awesome hands, and can win much more.

Knoler
02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Happens all the time at PP 1/2. But think about it: Every hand except AA (and maybe KK) has profit less than 1.5BB, so having say JJ or QQ folded around is definitely +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy!

Most of the money in hold'em is made after the flop, if you know what you're doing. So yeah, I'd rather be seeing flops. Especially with my premium holdings.

Besides, if it gets folded around, that'd be 1.5 SB, not 1.5 BB.

Regards,
-Brian

btspider
02-14-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like you fold too much and are the cause of your own miseries. i suspect your aggression is mighty low and you don't like spewing chips to protect your hands either.

IsaacW
02-14-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like you fold too much and are the cause of your own miseries. i suspect your aggression is mighty low and you don't like spewing chips to protect your hands either.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was a problem for me. When I first moved up to $1/2, I quickly dropped about 150 BB before moving back down to 50c/$1. When I moved back up, I continued to drop chips. I noticed that I was not making enough on my good hands; I was missing obvious value bets and playing scared with good hands. You can get away with this somewhat at 50c/$1 because the whole table pays you off every time you hit your monster flush, straight or boat. The players at $1/2 are more cautious and less likely to pay you off, so you really have to get value out of the hands that are not monsters. Now that I have improved my game with less-than-stellar hands, I am much more comfortable at $1/2, and am looking at $2/4 in the near future.

To the OP: check up on your top pair play, make sure that you are taking advantage of opportunities to protect your hand, and don't fold so much with decent hands /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SeeWillie
02-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I agree with most of the posters that your WTSD is too low, which is inflating your W$SD. Check out btspider's explanation of stats in the sticky post. What are your aggression stats?

BTW, IMO 1/2 seems to have toughened up some with the bonus on Empire. I had to get more selective and focus on table selection after a couple of crazy losing sessions.

easypete
02-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I read through (or skimmed) most of this thread. One thing that just keeps sticking in my head is this:

Total hands: 49

I don't know what you expect out of poker, but losing 17BB in 49 hands happens. I've lost 75BB in 8 consecutive hands. Heck, Thursday, I lost 125BB in 750 hands. This stuff happens quite frequently. Wipe dirt on it and get back in the game.

Dead
02-14-2005, 03:15 PM
You've lost 75 BB in 8 consecutive hands?

So you put the max amount of money in on like 4 of those?

What the heck did you lose with?

I've never heard of someone losing that much in 8 hands.

maestro037
02-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm also a member of the -100BB club. Pumping draws that do not hit, betting/raising to protect TP hands to see an overcard A or flush card hit.

Had 44 in the BB - flop came Q 4 Q. Got a lot of action from the trip Q's players. River was A - lost to Queens full of Aces.

Arrrgh!

Maestro