PDA

View Full Version : I get reraised after raising UTG. Flop play?

beachbum
02-13-2005, 10:54 PM
MP2 is TA. I have about 200 hands with him. So, he knows my range of hands for raising UTG. Also, I know he's TA and have a good idea of his reraising hands (let's say AA-99,AK,AKs,AQ,AQs).

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

Now the LP BB likes his hand. If I raise here I'm only gonna get called or 3 bet by a hand I'm drawing thin to. I'm really not protecting my hand by raising forcing 99, TT, and AK out. A raise makes his decision easy. Do I call here hoping for his overcall and let him draw to a 2 or 3 outer or runner-runner? Or do I raise and find out where I stand?

Also, I'm not too concerned about being behind to the BB.

Buck_65
02-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Raise the flop, why would you be considering just calling? If you're 3-bet you'll probably have to call it down.

Nick C
02-13-2005, 11:24 PM
I probably would go ahead and raise. If the TAG MP2 has TT-99, he may fold whether you raise or not, unless he has you specifically on overcards and BB on a flush draw. Also, if you can get MP2 to fold AK, I think that's probably to your benefit. That hand would give him a gutshot (perhaps tainted by BB's potential flush draw) in addition to one good overcard (again possibly tainted) to your top pair.

Of course, as you point out, the possibility that you're behind (or maybe tied) can't be disregarded. Also, I probably would be at least a little concerned about BB's hand. You say he's passive, and yet he led the flop into a preflop raiser and a 3-bettor. But you were at the table and I wasn't, and it sounds like you're confident about your read on what his bet means.

In any event, I do think the situation on the flop is tricky, but I suspect raising is best.

mtdoak
02-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Yes, raise here. You're going to find out alot of info about his hand. If he 3 bets, you can narrow down his hand to 4 possible hands (AA, KK, QQ, JJ or maybe even AQ). You have top pair, top kicker, with 6 outs to improve your hand if your behind (3 aces(probably only count as partial outs), 2 queens, backdoor straight and flush draws), so your going to be laying the appropiate pot odds. Raise, and check-call if unimproved.

adamstewart
02-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Raise.

Honestly, I don't see what the issue is here. ??

Adam

hypermegachi
02-14-2005, 12:01 AM
raise. if you're screwed you have a backdoor nut flush to bail you out.

poboys
02-14-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now the LP BB likes his hand. If I raise here I'm only gonna get called or 3 bet by a hand I'm drawing thin to. I'm really not protecting my hand by raising forcing 99, TT, and AK out. A raise makes his decision easy. Do I call here hoping for his overcall and let him draw to a 2 or 3 outer or runner-runner? Or do I raise and find out where I stand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your argument for not raising here. If you don't raise, he will. What 3-bet hands would not raise if you were him? None. What is your plan on the turn? You checking to him or betting into him? You will have no idea where you stand throughout this hand, and risk guessing on giving him a free card vs. betting into a better hand.

Raise the flop, if he 3-bets, hopefully the BB will fold. Then you have to decide whether you want to call down (which I would do).

Lmn55d
02-14-2005, 12:25 AM
If the preflop 3bettor has the range of hands you listed, then yes you aren't really protecting your hand in most cases. If he has AK , which is likely, he has a gusthot and 3 king outs, or 7 outs total. A raise would offer him 12.5:2 or 6.25:1, which would make his call correct (depending on what BB has). Maybe he'll make an inccorect fold (pretty unlikely but possible if he's TA). THis is of course good for you. Also 99 or TT has a backdoor straight draw that is probably worth about an additional out giving him like 3 outs if he has those hands. I think the main reason to raise here, however, is for value. Ak will call the 2 bets most likely, and the BB almost definitely will call. If you are 3bet by the PFR you are behind much more often than you are if you simply call and he raises. This info should allow you to make a better decision on the turn or river.

beachbum
02-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Agreed, I did raise but thought about it after he folded the flop to whether that was my best course of action. By not raising, I'm encouraging him to stay in with 99, TT, and AK. I don't mind 99 or TT but AK is dangerous since he's got 7 outs (3 kings and 4 tens). It does save a small bet when I overcall and he raises with a hand that I'm behind to. The BB probably calls this raise and my percent chance of winning goes down because of this even if the BB is drawing thin to both of us. So, the small bet saved here really is inconsequential. Even, the added equity of the BB here isn't worth him staying in either.

The only thing I really gain out of overcalling the flop is the chance that the PFRR semi-bluff raises with TT, 99, or AK but this is probably the right play anyway since he's got the option of taking the free card on the turn if checked to him. Also, allowing him to stay in the hand does put me in a little tougher spot on the turn.