PDA

View Full Version : Mason tells it like it is

Iceman
02-13-2005, 10:49 PM
"But I feel sorry for those authors who think this is an opportunity to make a quick buck. It might have been a year-and-a-half ago, but it's not now. If your book is one of the few good ones, the word will get out that this is a text worth buying. But if you slap it together quickly, well I don't like your prospects."

cough cough Carson cough

BarronVangorToth
02-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm not going to name names, but, absolutely, Mason is 100% on the money. With poker being a passion of mine, I try to buy every single poker book that comes out and ... OOOH BOY! ... there have been some doozies coming out in the last few months.

The same holds true in ANY industry or fad -- the originals will invariably be of the highest quality and then the various quick-buck artists try to come in and capitalize. Yes, some of these newer books will be of high standards (I was pleasantly surprised by Harrington on Hold 'em, while I didn't believe 2+2 would put out a bad book, I thought it had the potential to be rather nothing spectacular).

Many of the newer crop though ... I'm beginning to think my desire to own and continue to buy every poker book may be even a bigger colossal waste of money than I already thought it to be in the first place when most of the books coming out were at least decent. Nowadays.... not so much so.

And the flood will drown out the mediocrity.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Rasputin
02-17-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And the flood will drown out the mediocrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you think about it, this is a good thing.

Kenrick
02-18-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cough cough Carson cough

[/ QUOTE ]

Compare some of the concepts in Carson's book to some of the concepts in SSH. SSH is far more polished, but Carson's came first, and he was ridiculed many times for it. You'll also note the footnotes SSH has for Carson's book. Carson's book is far from a masterpiece, but give credit where due.

BarronVangorToth
02-18-2005, 10:57 AM
That's a good point -- I think if it came out TODAY it would be seen as redundant and derivative, but, for its time, absolutely, it was better than a number of other books that came out...

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)