PDA

View Full Version : Another little anti-tilt trick

twang
02-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Consider this:

1. One of the major reasons (The Major Reason I suppose) for tilt is when the outcome is worse than our expectations. Losing with high pocket pairs or TPTK a couple of times in a row are good examples of tilt-triggers.

2. Two pair is the average winning hand in hold 'em.*

3. When you have hands like unimproved pocket aces, TPTK or unimproved AK at showdown, you are showing down hands that are below the average winning hand.

4. To win a pot with a hand that is below average you must play well and/or get lucky. We don't expect someone of average height to make it in NBA, do we?

Now go back to 1. Do you expect to win with a hand that is below the average winning hand? If not, you shouldn't tilt the next time you lose with your nice starting hand.

(Btw, AA is a big winner for me.)

* Yeah, I know, it depends on how loose or tight the game is, but two-pair seems to be the consensus. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

/twang

Grisgra
02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Two-pair is the average winning hand?! First I've heard . . . maybe if you have 8 people to a flop that stay until showdown.

thirddan
02-13-2005, 10:19 PM
just remember that AK with board of A4665 is two pair also...

AncientPC
02-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Remember to fold AA when the board is Q553Q and the villain pushes all in on the river.

jason_t
02-14-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Two pair is the average winning hand in hold 'em.*

* Yeah, I know, it depends on how loose or tight the game is, but two-pair seems to be the consensus. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

More importantly, it depends on what "average" means, and that is my question: what does it mean in this context?

twang
02-14-2005, 04:05 AM
I think average means number of pots here.

Just for the record, I'm not claiming that this two pair-thing is an undisputable fact. Obviously the answer depends on the number of players, what limit you are talking about, aggression-level etc. With a large enough database you could probably get pretty close though.

Anyway, it's just one of those things that I keep hearing + that it seems likely in a loose micro/ss-game.

My point was just that adjusting your expectations to the actual strength of your hand at showdown might be a good thing.

/twang

BreakEvenPlayer
02-14-2005, 05:03 AM
Good post.

You build up enough of these little tricks over the course of a lifetime and maybe someday you'll be tilt free. Ahhh, who am I kidding, I'll always be tiltable.