PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how to dance??

Lawrence Ng
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
No, I do mean going to club and moving your shoulders in some crazy unorthodox manner whilst holding some beer in your hand. Do you know how to do some form of structured, co-ordinated dance that is recognized in one form or another?

Back in university I joined the ballroom dancing club where we learned the 10-dance (Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Quickstep, and Viennesse Waltz for standard. Jive, Rhumba, Cha-Cha, Samba and Paso Doble for latin.)

Eventually I went on to learn less rigid, more flexible dances like Salsa and the Argentine Tango (which is my favorite now). My friends and I did some Hip Hop too. I never go into Swing though.

Lawrence

slickpoppa
02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
i can mashed potato. i can do the twist

ilya
02-13-2005, 08:03 PM
When I was a kid I took dance lessons and we did mostly swing and early hip-hop dance. This was in Russia so we weren't exactly break-dancing. I even competed in a swing dance tournament once, although my partner and I didn't make it past the first round. My partner was kinda dumpy and had really clammy hands. I had black velveteen pants and big glasses. The idea behind all this, I think, was to improve my posture.

jakethebake
02-13-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I do mean going to club and moving your shoulders in some crazy unorthodox manner whilst holding some beer in your hand. Do you know how to do some form of structured, co-ordinated dance that is recognized in one form or another?

Back in university I joined the ballroom dancing club where we learned the 10-dance (Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Quickstep, and Viennesse Waltz for standard. Jive, Rhumba, Cha-Cha, Samba and Paso Doble for latin.)

Eventually I went on to learn less rigid, more flexible dances like Salsa and the Argentine Tango (which is my favorite now). My friends and I did some Hip Hop too. I never go into Swing though.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that you're gay right?

ilya
02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, gay like James Bond.

jakethebake
02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember any movie or book (although I only read all Fleming's, not the new ones) where Bond joined a ballroom dance club? But if there is one, it must be with Brosnan. He's clearly a poop pusher.

Reef
02-13-2005, 08:43 PM
breakdancing, pop, some walking (heel-toe stuff), my own hip hop improv, etc. I was pretty good in the end of high school, but that was a few years ago. I can still impress a crowd though.

ilya
02-13-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember any movie or book (although I only read all Fleming's, not the new ones) where Bond joined a ballroom dance club? But if there is one, it must be with Brosnan. He's clearly a poop pusher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course not. You don't see him learning to shoot or to paraglide, either. James Bond already knows how to do everything that a perfect gentleman/daredevil/killer should. Including ballroom dancing.

jakethebake
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well of course not. You don't see him learning to shoot or to paraglide, either. James Bond already knows how to do everything that a perfect gentleman/daredevil/killer should. Including ballroom dancing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to knowing how to dance. Nothing wrong with learning step or two to get yourswelf laid, but ya don't have to join the ballroom dance club to do that. Clearly Bond wouldn't have done that.

Nottom
02-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I took a swing class back when it was big. It was fun, but I've never really done any of it outside of the class.

ilya
02-13-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to knowing how to dance. Nothing wrong with learning step or two to get yourswelf laid, but ya don't have to join the ballroom dance club to do that. Clearly Bond wouldn't have done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, he'd probably take private lessons with Pussy Calor or whatever her name was. Or he would just pick it up spontaneously after watching someone for like 3 minutes.
But, since virtually no one in the real world is that suave or talented, dance classes seem like a reasonable compromise. And I'm guessing they're a decent place to meet girls.

Phat Mack
02-13-2005, 11:18 PM
We had to take dance lessons once a week when I was in the 6th grade (50's). We learned to waltz, fox trot, polka and swing. I'd advise any guy to learn to at least fake these. If you do, picking up girls at weddings is astoundingly easy. JMO

nothumb
02-14-2005, 12:11 AM
I lost a bet with my girlfriend once and had to do a version of 'Billie Jean' where I was Michael Jackson once. Learned how to moonwalk and everything. She's a dance instructor so she had to teach me.

NT

Reef
02-14-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I lost a bet with my girlfriend once and had to do a version of 'Billie Jean' where I was Michael Jackson once. Learned how to moonwalk and everything. She's a dance instructor so she had to teach me.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

MJ's moonwalk is classic, but outdated. Usher's glide (sideways moonwalk) is where it's at.

nolanfan34
02-14-2005, 12:21 AM
I know the Electric Slide and the Chicken Dance. Always good for weddings, you know.

BusterStacks
02-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Usher is a tool. He looks like a ninja turtle.

Nottom
02-14-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know the Electric Slide and the Chicken Dance. Always good for weddings, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gone out of my way to not learn either of these along with the Macerena.

M2d
02-14-2005, 02:38 AM
My wife and I take a social dance class. we've done east coast, west coast and triple step swing, Box, rotary and a couple other waltzes, rhumba, cha cha, fox trot, salsa and nightclub two step. it's a blast.

for you single guys: if I were single, I'd join a class immediately. especially one at a community college. the one my wife and I go to is at the local CC, so it's pretty damned cheap. plus, since it's a college class, we're required to switch partners periodically. lots of single chicks in there and some of them are pretty hot. I shoulda done this when i was single.

btw, for jake: Gene Kelly said in an interview shortly before his death, that the sole reason he learned how to dance, way back in his childhood, was to meet chicks.

nolanfan34
02-14-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gone out of my way to not learn either of these along with the Macerena.

[/ QUOTE ]

I draw the line at the Macarena. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

M2d
02-14-2005, 02:45 AM
I also won a world championship in hula. well, my halau did. actually, it was the Hawaii State Secondary Schools Hula Competition. since, as far as we could tell, there were no other high school hula competitions anywhere else in the world, we proclaimed ourselves world champions.

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to steal Diablo's line here:

If by gay, you mean I am attracted to female vagina's and breasts - then yes I am gay.

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake, to wake you up from that proverbial hole you've been living in all your socialess life: Girls like guys who can dance. Hint..Hint..

Lawrence

EliteNinja
02-14-2005, 02:48 AM
I can only do those smooth flowing rave moves, I had a lot of time on my hands working in Saskatchewan.
Therefore I cannot dance to hiphop.

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you do, picking up girls at weddings is astoundingly easy. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Lawrence

ThaSaltCracka
02-14-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to steal Diablo's line here:

If by gay, you mean I am attracted to female vagina's and breasts - then yes I am gay.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]
no, thats not what he meant.

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I draw the line at the Macarena.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a fantastic funky line dance involving Madonna's Move to the Music.

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, thats not what he meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You meant to say PwNd??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lawrence

Reef
02-14-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usher is a tool. He looks like a ninja turtle.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, his dance moves are/were badass.

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Did you see him on the Grammie's tonight. Dang he rocks. Best male dancer out there right now by a mile.

Lawrence

jakethebake
02-14-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you see him on the Grammie's tonight. Dang he rocks. Best male dancer out there right now by a mile.
Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

You make posts like this and claim you're not gay. You're clearly in denial.

thatpfunk
02-14-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawrence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You make posts like this and claim you're not gay. You're clearly in denial.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're clearly homophobic

daveymck
02-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I can headbang if that helps as well as a mean Air guitar, which is proper dancing as there are competitions and everything (not that I have ever enterted one).

Duke
02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Tell me, baby... do you like it like this?

~D

jakethebake
02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can headbang if that helps as well as a mean Air guitar, which is proper dancing as there are competitions and everything (not that I have ever enterted one).

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you take lessons? Were you in the university air guitar club? I wonder if James Bond was?