PDA

View Full Version : windows XP question

stoxtrader
02-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I have XP on my laptop and desktop - my desktop is newer, but when I hit control+alt+delete I get the windows task manager stuck on "processes" and I am able to end processes, but there are not tabs or windows for me to enlarge or close the box, or choose the other tabs (applications, performance, networking, users). my laptop task manager works fine, could this be something i set somewhere?

thanks!

AncientPC
02-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm guessing it's WinXP Home vs WinXP Pro, but I've never worked with XP Home so I can't say. Right-click on My Computer and go to Properties to find out which edition of XP you have on each system.

Mike Haven
02-13-2005, 07:12 PM
put your cursor on the left gray edge and left-double-click

beernutz
02-13-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have XP on my laptop and desktop - my desktop is newer, but when I hit control+alt+delete I get the windows task manager stuck on "processes" and I am able to end processes, but there are not tabs or windows for me to enlarge or close the box, or choose the other tabs (applications, performance, networking, users). my laptop task manager works fine, could this be something i set somewhere?

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
This happens to me with my Windows 2000 desktop as well. There should be a system trey icon opening when you do CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose Task Manager which you can right click on to close the Task Manager window. I have no idea what is causing this on my system either--it started after I had a conflict with DirectX when installing the Adaptec Easy CD Creator software. This workaround has at least allowed me to close Task Manager.

EDIT: just ignore what I wrote. I tried Mike's advise and it worked. That's why he's MY Zoo MVP.

stoxtrader
02-13-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
put your cursor on the left gray edge and left-double-click

[/ QUOTE ]

MONEY!

thanks mike.