PDA

View Full Version : Actual Win Percentage

waynethetrain
02-13-2005, 05:10 PM
As long as we are discussing general percentages, what percentage of the total number of hands you play do you actually win?

Sykes
02-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Showdown win percentage is around 60%. Mainly so low because I keep paying people off just for the fact that if they don't have it, I win a decent size pot (i.e. 10-12bb). So definately should be around 70%

Dead
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
No Sykes I have to disagree here. A percentage above 60 indicates that are folding too many winning hands at showdown.

A long run win$@SD percentage of 70% increases that you are folding WAYYYY too many winning hands at showdown, and only going there with the nuts or near nuts.

Maybe you don't have enough hands for your W$ASD for be to significant yet. Either it's that or it's what I said above.

Dead
02-13-2005, 06:36 PM
I assume you're talking about what percentage of hands that you take to showdown should you win. I've heard that 51-55% is good.

Remember, you're not looking to win the most pots, you're looking to win the most money.

Sykes
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No Sykes I have to disagree here. A percentage above 60 indicates that are folding too many winning hands at showdown.

A long run win$@SD percentage of 70% increases that you are folding WAYYYY too many winning hands at showdown, and only going there with the nuts or near nuts.

Maybe you don't have enough hands for your W$ASD for be to significant yet. Either it's that or it's what I said above.

[/ QUOTE ]

1500 hands. I know that's probably not enough but w/e. It is around 60% (give or take a couple %). Please remember that I'm very tight pre-flop and very aggressive on the flop so when I do see a flop, I'm usually seeing a river most of the time if it's correct to do so. Thus 60% is not that hard to do. I don't see why 60% is a hard number to grasp.

Dead
02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
60% is really the upper, upper limit for what most here would consider an acceptable percentage for a good player, I'd say.

I think you should be calling river bets more with hands that have a decent chance of winning. Folding in big pots for one bet with hands that have even a small chance to win is a mistake.

But you also mentioned 70% in your post, and I think that 70% is just wayy too high. Do you see why?

Sykes
02-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Yes, I see why, because it means that I might be throwing away winners. That's why my winning percentage is around 60% instead of 70%. I usually never throw away a hand on the river to 1 bet if the pot is decent size (9-10 bb).

Here are my stats:

Hold'em (Real Money):

1558 hands played and saw flop:
- 38 times out of 180 while in small blind (21%)
- 125 times out of 188 while in big blind (66%)
- 158 times out of 1190 in other positions (13%)
- a total of 321 times out of 1558 (20%)

Pots won at showdown - 54 out of 94 (57%)
Pots won without showdown - 41

So basically seeing a showdown 30% of the times with my hands.

Dead
02-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Those stats look fine.

57% is fine.

It's your choice but I do think you could be a little looser preflop. If you play in the really passive Stars games then I would recommend playing more suited connectors from MP and LP.

You can have a VP$IP of as high as 20 at the Stars .05/.10(if that's what you play), and still make money.

My stats are around 19 VP$IP, 10% PFR.

I've probably played 30k hands in the past 2 months and my percentage does very a lot from night to night. Some nights I win 80% of showdowns. Some nights I only win 30 or 35%(even while being up for the night).

Don't tailor your play to fit the range recommended by me though. Just play correct poker and most of your stats should be around the ranges recommended.

Sykes
02-13-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those stats look fine.

57% is fine.

It's your choice but I do think you could be a little looser preflop. If you play in the really passive Stars games then I would recommend playing more suited connectors from MP and LP.

You can have a VP$IP of as high as 20 at the Stars .05/.10(if that's what you play), and still make money.

My stats are around 19 VP$IP, 10% PFR.

I've probably played 30k hands in the past 2 months and my percentage does very a lot from night to night. Some nights I win 80% of showdowns. Some nights I only win 30 or 35%(even while being up for the night).

Don't tailor your play to fit the range recommended by me though. Just play correct poker and most of your stats should be around the ranges recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do play suited connectors in MP/LP but usually when I get them, everyone has folded (or 1 has called) or I get them in EP. Like I said, my sample size is still too small but when I get to 10K it will probably be around 14-15% VP$IP.

BTW, What is your BB/100 on 5c/10c? Have you made enough to move up to 25c/50c?

Dead
02-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm at about 12 BB/100 at .05/.10.

I'll probably be moving up soon.

bottomset
02-13-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1500 hands. I know that's probably not enough but w/e. It is around 60% (give or take a couple %). Please remember that I'm very tight pre-flop and very aggressive on the flop so when I do see a flop, I'm usually seeing a river most of the time if it's correct to do so. Thus 60% is not that hard to do. I don't see why 60% is a hard number to grasp.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't grasp the basic structure of Limit Holdem makes a 70% WSD a horrible idea, 60% is borderline but could just be a good run of cards .. you always get better that 2/1 odds on any call, you have to make calls that you lose 80-95% of the time to get good winrates, they drive down you WSD% but profits up .. its never about how many pots you win but total money won .. you leave a lot of money by passing on all those situations

Sykes
02-13-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't grasp the basic structure of Limit Holdem makes a 70% WSD a horrible idea, 60% is borderline but could just be a good run of cards .. you always get better that 2/1 odds on any call, you have to make calls that you lose 80-95% of the time to get good winrates, they drive down you WSD% but profits up .. its never about how many pots you win but total money won .. you leave a lot of money by passing on all those situations

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't fold on the river most of the time. Usually if I call the turn with a made hand, I'm also calling the river. I don't recall a time where I've folded on the river and beat myself up because I would have won.

waynethetrain
02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Actually I am looking for the win percentage per hand played - not just at showdown. I know it's a meaningless stat in terms of winning money. What I am trying to guage is what percentage of the time tight aggressive players actually win so I can sort of guage if I've been running bad or good relative to norm if I am winning 6% of all the hands I have played in games averaging 4 players to the flop.

Sykes
02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
6% is fine. I am at 6% also and I probably play on the tight side.

topspin
02-13-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't fold on the river most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why 60% is a hard number to grasp.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
definately should be around 70%

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if all of the above statements are true for you, then you are on the world's biggest hot streak.

davelin
02-13-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1500 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

'Nuff said