PDA

View Full Version : Call this all in on the river?

Double Eagle
02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
This is a hand from today's round 2 Monte Carlo FPP Sat. Villain seems tight/solid - has played very few pots in 90 minutes and I don't remember him showing a hand. Make a case for calling or folding here....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

Button (t2335)
SB (t1547)
Villain (t1770)
Hero (t1967)
UTG+1 (t980)
MP1 (t3310)
MP2 (t2015)
CO (t4146)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Jc, Tc.
Hero calls t50, 4 folds, Button calls t50, SB completes, Villain checks.

Flop: (t200) 5h, Ts, 6h (4 players)
SB checks, Villain bets t150, Hero calls t150, Button folds, SB calls t150.

Turn: (t650) 7d (3 players)
SB checks, Villain bets t350, Hero calls t350, SB folds.

River: (t1350) 5c (2 players)
Villain bets t1220 (All-In), Hero ?

Dudd
02-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I have no idea. He limped preflop, which tells us nothing other than that he must have decent hand since he plays tight. You check call on the flop, which tells you nothing. You check call on the turn, which tells you nothing. Finally, he puts you to the test on the river. I'd think that he was milking you on the flop and turn and went for the kill on the river, but that's just a guess. Make it easy on yourself and lead out on the flop, see how he responds to that, and go from there. Leaving yourself in the dark like this the entire way is a good way to have him put you to a difficult decision while all the while he has something like 88 or 99. Let him make the difficult decisions instead.

Double Eagle
02-14-2005, 01:53 PM
OK, not too many responses here. I guess I got a little too cute in the original post as my play as described is pretty bad. It's no wonder no one wanted to take the time to respond to such a Donkey.

I was actually the Big Blind in this hand and had Q8h. I put the caller on a weak Ten and really didn't think he could call a big bet on the River. I don't normally run big bluffs and was just checking to see if this bet looked like a bluff from the other end of the hand.

So now I'll switch it around, assuming no significant read on your opponent, anyone have a problem with my play here?

hurlyburly
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Wow, assuming the hand you were up against was JTsc, that was a pretty terrible call on his end. Maybe a C/R all-in on the turn would have protected you better (I'm sure that's what I'd have done here, but a free card would have been nice as well).

Those 17-outers (assuming you felt a Q would have won the hand) are pretty tough to laydown against a soft-playing opponent. Once you knew that you missed, check/folding the river wouldn't have been terrible.

Double Eagle
02-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Actually I was up against JTos - I changed it in the original post to make the play at least on marginally dumb and avoid the "why are you limping with JTos UTG?" responses.

hurlyburly
02-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Please just give the details as they happen. Now I don't know what happened or who was where. Ignore the posts you don't wanna hear. Now it just looks like 2 LAG players doin the stupid together. Sorry that you misread the guy and thought he was tight, I guess. Have no idea what you want to hear now.

Prime Time
02-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I think its an easy fold.

DVC Calif
02-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Preflop: I think that you should have bet out pf to punish the limpers. If you ended up with callers, that would have set up your post flop play a little better, possibly representing a high pp.

Flop: 3/4 pot bet looks fine. You have four to the flush with the Q kicker for 3rd nuts if it hits. You need to test the waters.

Turn: You missed your flush but picked up an OESD. If your gonna fire another shot, I think that you need to raise more than 1/2 pot. More like t500-600. I also like a check raise with all the outs you have. If it gets checked down, your exactly not afraid to see a free card either.

River: You have Queen-high. Check-fold.

Double Eagle
02-14-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I think that you should have bet out pf to punish the limpers. If you ended up with callers, that would have set up your post flop play a little better, possibly representing a high pp.

Flop: 3/4 pot bet looks fine. You have four to the flush with the Q kicker for 3rd nuts if it hits. You need to test the waters.

Turn: You missed your flush but picked up an OESD. If your gonna fire another shot, I think that you need to raise more than 1/2 pot. More like t500-600. I also like a check raise with all the outs you have. If it gets checked down, your exactly not afraid to see a free card either.

River: You have Queen-high. Check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. I think the check raise line on the turn was my best chance to take this pot down, though he probably calls anyway. I didn't really consider anything less than all in on the river, though I'm wondering if a 700 chip bet would have looked stronger there. I suppose I could have check folded as well, but I really did not want to give the pot up without a fight....

schwza
02-14-2005, 03:06 PM
i'd fold pre-flop, and i'd raise the flop.

i'd fold the river.

nightlyraver
02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
The only thing that you beat is if the guy was on a semi-bluff the whole time and missed his draw. I really don't know why you played this hand like you did, but I think this is an easy laydown. I would actually have folded on the turn to be honest. You say that he is a tight, solid player. Does he normally take a stab at the pot out of position on a total steal play? Doesn't sound like it - I think that he MUST have had at least top pair on the flop. Next, I don't know why you just called his bet. This is a case where you have little chance of improving to the best hand assuming he is ahead (3 outs to the jack if he has a better T or T6 or T5, 2 outs to the T if he has 65, 0 outs if he has a set). Therefore, you are either way ahead if he is on a draw, has a weaker T or has middle/bottom pair OR you are way behind. So you're gonna call off all your chips? Bad idea... I would have raised the flop to about 400 - he will not have odds to draw to the flush and if he calls you really have to shut down or make your stand. I personally NEVER make my stand against a tight player with top pair and a questionable kicker. End of story.