PDA

View Full Version : Home game advice....

squallA964
02-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Last week I was invited to a home game by a friend from work. It was low-limit, 6 handed, we played 4 hours or so, but I was so successful that I think it, at worst, mildly pissed them off. My work buddy is pretty decent, but the other 4 were so easy to read they might as well have shown me their cards. It got to the point where I knew at least one guy was extremely frustrated, and the others were intimidated when I was in the pot (one even said this to me). Online, or even in my semi-regular NL game, I wouldnt feel bad at all about cleaning up. But looking back, I kinda wish I'd lost a few hands on purpose. As long as I play it, this particular home game will never be about money for me, but it was a good time to hang out. I've been invited back this week, but Im kinda second-guessing myself. I always want to play well, but I think if I play TOO well it might ruin the "oh this is just a good time" feel of the game, if you understand.

So...what do I do? I refuse to lose money, that's just dumb. But do I pull back if I start getting TOO far ahead? It seems like sacrilege to say "pull back" in the game of poker, but I don't really wanna wear out my welcome. Or am I cheating myself if I don't play my best, and just see if they can handle it? Any thoughts?

ZBTHorton
02-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm in college and seem to have an abundant amount of low limit games with people who have no clue what they are doing that I force myself to play in sometimes.

When I'm at this type of game, I do several things.

#1. I drink, this will cause you seem alot more cheerful and less expert.
#2. I stop paying attention to people. If you can beat these guys just by playing the cards, do it.
#3. If you do get way way up, don't dump money..but chase alot of draws...you'll probably lose to them...and it'll make them feel better. Then if you hit you can blame it on luck.

jojobinks
02-13-2005, 04:24 PM
if you like the game, and feel like crushing it will mess things up, then i guess i recommend you ease up, yeah.

or maybe still crush it but don't seem so serious about your play? what i see people hate most is my intensity in these games. they are drunk/silly, and feel like i should be too. when i make an effort to relax, and represent not caring, it matters less to them when i take their money.