PDA

View Full Version : profession and poker success in no limit

lil_o
02-13-2005, 03:18 PM
When watching TV poker, WPT and WSOP always does bios on the players that make the final tables. It seems like the final tables are dominated by players which are engineers, economics majors, and computer programmers. Obviously these fields are strongly tied with numbers and math which tends to help ones poker game.

I am suprised I do not see my psychologists or psychiatrists that are successful poker players. I realize being able to play the "numbers" is extremely important, but reading people and understanding their thought process is just as important. This is especially the case in no limit where you don't have to play the cards to win.

thoughts?

lehighguy
02-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I think its more a matter of who would be interested in a game like poker to begin with. Also, I think those folks would tend to overanalyze.

ace_in_the_hole
02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
In the newest cardplayer there is an article about Gus Hansen and his playing style. He talks about how soometimes pure math is better to base your decesions on rather than trying to get super fancy with reading opponents. I agree.