PDA

View Full Version : AK - bad call or the right move?

TheHarlequin
02-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Firstly would like to stress the vast majority of the time I have no problem laying town TPTK in a NL game. Below is an example of a situation I frequently encounter however and would really like some comments from others on how they tackle this.

The villain in this story is a LAG. She frequently raises draws and has check-raised pre-flop raisers all-in on several occasions with no pair and a straight or flush draw. She raises big hands pre-flop but also suited connectors and occasionally rags.
She also draws to hands when she doesn't raise with short odds.
Furthermore she has a passion for moving all-in on the river when heads-up for many times the size of the pot if her opponent shows any weakness.

$2/$4 NLHE 10-handed $200 max buy-in

Stacks
--------
Hero = $280
Villain = $256

UTG Calling Station calls. Villain limps in seat 3. I raise to 4 Big Blinds in MP2 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Everyone folds to original limpers who both call.

Flop : K /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif Pot = $52

Both players check to me. I bet $40. UTG folds. Villain calls.

Turn : 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Pot = $131

Villain checks. I bet $90. Villain Check-Raises All-In. I call $110.

I'm happy with the play of the hand up until the turn (if others can suggest something I have done wrong then please do - all criticism welcomed).

The raise of only 4 Big Blinds pre-flop was to iscolate the 2 players already in the pot as the table had gone tight and very few people were prepared to call a raise of that size before the flop.

I think the flop bet is standard - what do others think?

On the turn I bet to protect my hand. At this point I had the villain as most likely being on a straight/flush draw or possibly weak king.
When she check-raised all-in the pot was laying me about 4-to-1 to call. After thinking for a while I decided that although 2-pair or a set were a possibility, based on her previous betting patterns there was a good chance she was on a draw and making another big semi-bluff.

What do others think of my play here? Have I made a mistake at any point? Would others want a bigger price than 4-to-1 to call the turn check-raise?

All comments and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Voltron87
02-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Your play up to and including the turn bet is fine, but the CR call is read dependent. You're also getting 3-1 not 4-1 on your money. Stacks aren't very deep so calling the raise seems like the way to go, although this is read dependent. Some players I will call this and others I will fold it, so its hard to really answer. I have folded AK like this many times and I have called many times. I'd lean towards calling since the stacks are not very deep. If I can tell my opponent was looking to CR me then that makes a difference, but the villain is LAG so that also counts for something. If it was something like 200 more or more then you have a real decision. I'm kind of thinking out loud in this post, not offering a definitive opinion so take it for what it's worth.

gomberg
02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
It seems that she would have CR the flop if she had a draw, right? I probably would have checked the turn and called an all-in on the river if she really "likes to move in on the river heads-up to weakness with overbets".