PDA

View Full Version : Table selection - My trick and I'll share it

joedot
02-13-2005, 01:36 PM
This is how I do it on the short handed tables. I look for people with small, but not too small amounts of money on the table. Ideally I'll find a table with 2 or 3 of these desperados that are low, and look like they will be busting out shortly. I have found that these people have low stacks because they usually are playing poorly, and they also probably are short buy in types. The fact that they are losing and getting low in chips also will cause them to play passively and/or desperate. Doesn't get any bettter than that. 1-2 table, here is a perfect setup: 17, 11, 7, 56, 23. Has worked amazingly for me, and it's real easy to find and doesn't require monitoring tables or looking at stats. Don't knock it till you try it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

RainDog
02-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Another thing that I do when I'm to lazy to mess with GT is just to join short handed tables that are likely to become full tables. For some reason I always find that newly formed tables are usually the zaniest ones out there (I guess the poor players don't have a chance to be weeded out yet).

I use your strategy sometimes, but a lot of good players do buy in low so as to reduce the quality of their table image and get more action (but they probably wouldn't get as low as 17,16,7, etc.). But then I always buy in with nice high round numbers like 100, 250, etc. I prefer the ability to intimidate someone out of a pot rather than attract action. Different strategys I suppose, not sure what is better. I'm getting off track now...I'll stop.

joedot
02-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't think having a bigger stack intimidates anyone out of a pot in low limit holdem.

lu_hawk
02-13-2005, 01:56 PM
in addition to the reasons you mentioned good players know to keep more than 12 BB's.

Lurker4
02-13-2005, 02:19 PM
interesting theory...I know if a player is shortstacked then I will be more likely to call a river bet/raise/checkraise, or value-bet a weaker hand since he is usually playing more desperately/just wants to leave the table. I've usually found this to be true - a players calling/betting/raising standards seem to be much lower than than they would normally be when not playing short.

JoeC
02-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I like this one... find an unknown player with $300 or more (assuming $100NL tables). These guys are fish >50% of the time.

37offsuit
02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I almost always buy in short in low limit/NL games. I'll buy in for like 20BB to exploit this exact situation. People with big stacks will think they can run all over you, and after your stack gets uneven, new players to the table assume you've been losing.

I do a lot of hit and running like this.