PDA

View Full Version : Trash in the BB flops a pair

cab4656
02-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Opponent is 45/8.

Is this standard?

Or should I have not even bothered taking a shot at the pot on this coordinated flop?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (2.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.20 BB

wuarhg
02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I bet the turn too.

RunDownHouse
02-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Wow. This seems horribly weak to me, if not plain horrible. By checking that turn, you are begging him to bet, regardless of his hand. He could be betting anything from K-high to a 9 here, but you don't have any idea since you checked it.

Were you afraid of a check-raise and having to call down?

Perseus
02-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Against an opponent like that, the only reason to check the turn is if you plan on check raising him. I bet though. What's his aggression level, or did you not know?

Against LAGGERS I like to check raise the turn sometimes to show them whose boss, but I've got to know they'll bluff when checked to them.

cab4656
02-13-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. This seems horribly weak to me, if not plain horrible. By checking that turn, you are begging him to bet, regardless of his hand. He could be betting anything from K-high to a 9 here, but you don't have any idea since you checked it.

Were you afraid of a check-raise and having to call down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't I have some idea that he has some kind of hand here since he called on the flop? He could have a better pair or he could easily have a straight. Do I really want to invest another bet in this small pot when there's a real good chance I'll get raised and have to fold?

Mr. Graff
02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
I bet the turn. You can't give him credit for a J or a 9 just because he called the flop IMO (some passive opponents will call with K3 here). The pot is small but still worth fighting for with second pair.